Description of Historic Place
The one-and-one-half storey house at 143 Granville Street is on the east side of Granville at Ottawa Street. It has a steeply pitched gable roof with black asphalt shingles and is clad in beige vinyl. It has a rectangular footprint with small shed roofed porch on the east. The registration includes the parcel and the building.
This ordinary looking house at 143 Granville Street has an interesting early history. It was built near the bottom of Granville Street around 1905 and then moved to Spring Street where it stood from 1906 to 1915 before it was placed on the lot where it is now situated. The business of moving buildings in the early town of Summerside was quite common and this is one example of that activity.
The residence was originally built for Nathan Percival, a farmer from Crapaud, who perhaps intended to use it as a retirement home. It appears that Mr. Percival never took occupancy, deciding instead to sell the house to Charles Yeo who owned the Charles Hotel. Mr. Yeo intended to enlarge his property on the southeast corner of Granville and Hanover Streets and wanted Mr. Percival's adjoining land, but not the house.
Consequently, the dwelling was sold to Lucas Allen in the summer of 1906 and moved to his newly acquired lot at 115 Spring Street. It is interesting to note that this action on the part of Mr. Allen saved the house from destruction in the Great Fire of 1906. Lucas B. Allen and his wife Winnifred Brace who had married in 1903, moved into their newly acquired house. They resided in it with their children until August 1915, when it was removed to make way for the construction of the large home at 115 Spring Street.
Edward Monkley bought the modest one-and-one-half storey house and placed it on his empty lot at 143 Granville. He had moved to Summerside in 1909 and became very involved in the community, serving on the town council. Up until 1933, Mr. Monkley lived at 186 Belmont Street, so it is believed that he used the Granville Street house as an income property. He owned it for about four years.
The purchaser in 1919 was John Lloyd Gorrill who had come to Summerside from Cascumpec to work with Brace, McKay Company Limited. Shortly after buying the house, he married Mildred Stavert of North Bedeque and the couple eventually had three children. Mr. Gorrill was very involved in various community organizations and served on the town council for 12 years. For almost twenty years after leaving the Brace, McKay Company Limited, he worked in the business office of the Prince County Hospital. Mr. and Mrs. Gorrill moved to Harvard Street in 1936 and rented the Granville Street property until it was sold in 1941.
The new owners were Emmett Ronahan and his wife Georgie Huestis. Mr. Ronahan was a native of Fernwood and after serving in the Second World War, spent his career as a meat grader with the federal government, while his wife worked in the office of Holman's Limited. They raised two boys at 143 Granville and in 1967 deeded the house to their son Gerald who married Jean Brander of Sea View, PEI. The couple lived there for almost twenty years, selling the residence in 1986. The house has had several owners since then.
Source: City of Summerside, Heritage Property Profile
The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the one-and-one-half storey massing and form with rectangular footprint
- the steeply pitched gable roof with asphalt shingles
- the brick chimney
- the original placement and symmetrical arrangement of the windows and doors on the west and east elevations
- the triangular dormer with triangular window
- the porch with shed roof at the back of the house