Links and documents
1892/01/01 to 1892/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Bayfield School is a one-and-a-half storey vernacular building. The Bayfield School, erected in 1892, is located in a rural district of Antigonish County with a view of St. George's Bay in the distance. The building and surrounding property are included in the municipal designation.
The Bayfield School is valued for the role it has served as an institution of learning for the children of the Bayfield district in Antigonish County, once known as Little River. Families of School Section No. 26 appreciated the need for teachers, doctors, clergy and professionals, and were therefore determined to improve the educational opportunities for their children. In 1892, they volunteered time, materials and labour to build the Bayfield School.
The number of students attending classes at Bayfield School ranged in a given year from ten to sixty scholars. In the post World War II period a significant increase in the school's enrolment resulted in a need for a larger facility. In 1950, a major renovation took place, which saw the building being moved onto a basement foundation. The basement then served as a second classroom, accommodating the larger student population. Indoor plumbing was also installed, and some office space was procured.
The Bayfield School has also been valued as a community gathering place. It has served as a concert stage, polling station, dance hall, traveling library and community meeting place. In 1994, a Bayfield School reunion was held to bring together former students, teachers and friends to celebrate memories of this landmark in the community.
The Bayfield School served the district until 1968, at which time the children were bussed to larger, more modern facilities at Heatherton and at Tracadie. On August 25, 1969, the Antigonish Municipal School Board deemed the Bayfield School surplus and turned the building over to the municipality for disposal. The Bayfield School was privately purchased and currently serves as a residence.
The Bayfield School is valued for retaining the character and form of a one-room schoolhouse. The timber frame construction, six-over-six windows and schoolyard are reminiscent of a past era. There are artefacts and archival materials original to the Bayfield School that are housed within.
Source: Municipality of the County of Antigonish Registered Heritage Property file no. 4178.
The character defining elements of the Bayfield School include:
- steeply pitched gable roof;
- six-over-six windows;
- wood-frame construction;
- wood shingle cladding.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
1950/01/01 to 1950/01/01
1968/01/01 to 1968/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Composite School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Muncipality of the County of Antigonish, 285 Beech Hill Road, Antigonish, NS. B2G 2L4.
Cross-Reference to Collection
Historic artefacts and archival materials related to the property, located onsite at Bayfield School, Bayfield, N.S.