Home / Accueil

Church of Ascension

6 Cemetery Lane, Grand Manan, New Brunswick, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2010/01/11

The Church of Ascension rests at the top of a hill overlooking the fishing village of North Head where the ferry docks.; Grand Manan Historical Society
Church of Ascension
This historic image of the Church of Ascension in North Head, Grand Manan, shows the eastern wall of the church and it's spectacular stained glass windows.; Grand Manan Archives - Wooster image
Church of Ascension
No Image

Other Name(s)

Church of Ascension
North Head Anglican Church
Église anglicane de North Head

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1881/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/02/19

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Church of Ascension is a small wooden Gothic Revival from the late 19th century. It is located on one of the highest points in North Head and overlooks the North Head Harbour and fishing village. It is on the northern side of Route 776 about 0.8km from the ferry terminal.

Heritage Value

The Church of Ascension is designated a Local Historic Place for being the second church established on Grand Manan Island. Built in 1881, the church belongs to the Anglican Church Parish of the island. The two Anglican churches are served by one rector. It represents the long-standing presence of the Anglican Church in Grand Manan.

The Church of Ascension is also recognized for its architecture. It is a good example of a small rural Gothic Revival church from the late 19th century in New Brunswick. It is made of wood and has original stained glass windows. Because of its height and its location on the hilltop, it can be seen from miles out to sea and a long distance on land down the island. The Covert Hall was added in 1904 and has the matching design unique to the church with the high pitched roof and interior wood decor. The pitch of the church roof is such that during a recent re-shingling, people would stop along the road and pray for those working on it.

Source: Grand Manan Archives – Local Historic Places files

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the Church of Ascension include:
- second church and only structure of its kind on Grand Manan;
- prominent hilltop location;
- steeply-pitched gable roof;
- corner tower with belfry;
- large Gothic stained glass windows;
- 1904 hall addition that conforms to the original design of the church.

The character-defining elements relating to the interior include:
- beautiful large Gothic stained glass windows that catch the light at all times of day;
- wood panelling;
- wainscoting of tongue-and-groove timber.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2010/01/11

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Grand Manan Archives, 1141 Route 776, Grand Manan, NB

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1994

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places