Home / Accueil

Old Power House

1071 Route 776, Grand Manan, New Brunswick, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2010/01/11

Image of the Old Power House today, taken from the road looking northwest; Grand Manan Historical Society
The Old Power House in winter 2010
Historic image of the Old Power House taken circa 1929; Grand Manan Archives
The Old Power House, circa 1929
This was the view from the upper northern side of the Old Power House where the brook meets the road, 1959.; Grand Manan Archives, photo from Villages file
The Old Power House in operation, 1959

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1929/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/03/03

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Old Power House is located on a narrow piece of land on the eastern side of Route 776 in Grand Harbour on Grand Manan Island. Built in 1929, it consists of a rectangular two-storey industrial building with a hipped gable roof. There is a strong tidal brook and bridge located directly behind the building.

Heritage Value

The Old Power House is designated a Local Historic Place due to its association with the rich history of electricity coming to Grand Manan Island. The original structure of the Grand Manan Light and Power Company was built in 1929 with electricity being turned on for the first time on Christmas Eve of that year. The company was locally owned and operated. This diesel plant was turned off every night at 11 p.m. until 1938 when local residents petitioned the New Brunswick Power Commission for 24 hour power. The Commission responded by buying out the company. The plant was expanded and staff increased several times. There was a second plant built on Ingalls Head, Grand Manan, in the 1960’s and the Old Power Plant was shut down. In 1970, a submarine cable was laid providing Grand Manan with power. Now in 2010, the only time the Ingalls Head power plant is turned on is when there is a power outage. The Old Power House was purchased in 1993. Renovation turned it into a private home that was finally occupied in 2000. The strong tidal brook at the rear of the property was used to cool the diesel engines that generated power.

Source: Grand Manan Archives - Local Historic Places files and Grand Manan Light And Power Company collection, MG10

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the Old Power House include:
- rectangular two-storey massing;
- wood and concrete construction;
- hipped gable roof;
- sashed windows;
- some remaining rustic interior elements;
- brook with a strong current and a bridge located directly behind the building.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2010/01/11

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1960/01/01 to 1960/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Developing Economies
Technology and Engineering

Function - Category and Type

Current

Residence
Single Dwelling

Historic

Industry
Power Generation Facility

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

George & Glen Kinghorn - Masons

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Grand Manan Archives, 1141 Route 776, Grand Manan, NB

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

2015

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places