457 Church Street, Alberton, Prince Edward Island, C0B, Canada
The Alberton Museum
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Alberton Courthouse resides on the corner of Church and Howlan Streets facing Church street. The courthouse is a one and one half storey gabled structure which consists of a main floor and a gaol in the basement. It was one of six circuit courthouses constructed across the Province.
The Alberton Courthouse's heritage value resides in its association with the judicial history of the Province. Built in 1878 by James Wiggins & Sons, it was one of six circuit courthouses constructed following the passage of the County Courts Act in 1873.
The building is architecturally significant because it is one of two circuit courthouses that contained a gaol/jail and two large front windows. The Town of Souris, in the eastern part of the Province was the only other place which had a courthouse similar in design to Alberton. This has not survived.
Source: PEI Heritage Advisory Board files
The following elements should be preserved:
- The height of one and one half storeys and gabled roof
- The brick foundation
- The series of single arched windows with original glass on all elevations
- The projecting, one storey, flat roofed vestibule with detailing typical of the period, displaying eave returns and elaborate cornice.
- The round window in the upper gable, trimmed in the centre piece fashion.
- The basement windows indicative of the former prisoner cells with barred windows with single, hinged exterior shutters.
- The original siding made of Eastern cedar.
- The gray asphalt shingles on the roof.
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Designated Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Security and Law
Function - Category and Type
- Courthouse and/or Registry Office
Architect / Designer
James Wiggins & Sons
Location of Supporting Documentation
Located in the Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Community and Cultural Affairs, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A1
Cross-Reference to Collection