1 Government Drive, PO Box 846, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A, Canada
Links and documents
1834/01/01 to 1834/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Government House was built in 1834 as the official residence for the Lieutenant Governors of Prince Edward Island. The white wooden shingled building has a commanding view of Charlottetown Harbour and is surrounded by spacious lawns, tree-lined walks, and formal gardens.
Government House's heritage value lies in its well preserved exterior and interior elements. It represents several important eras in the Island's political development: from colonial administration, to the achievement of Responsible Government, to the Confederation era.
St. John's Island (later Prince Edward Island) became a separate colony from Nova Scotia in 1769, but did not attain a distinctive home for its governor until 1834. In this year, Government House was erected on land which had been set aside in 1789 by then governor Edmund Fanning. Hence, the origin of the residence's official name, Fanningbank.
Fanningbank was the host of many significant events in Prince Edward Island and Canadian history. These included the 1860 visit of Edward, Prince of Wales; the 1864 Charlottetown Conference where delegates, including John A. Macdonald, posed on the steps for a photograph. During the First World War, the Lieutenant Governor offered the residence as a convalescent home for returning soldiers. Later in the century, Queen Elizabeth II stayed here in 1959 during her Canadian Tour.
Today, Fanningbank is the venue to highlight the accomplishments of Islanders with the annual presentation of the Order of Prince Edward Island, as well as other recognition ceremonies for programs such as the Prince Edward Island Environmental Awards.
Source: PEI Culture and Heritage Division, Community and Cultural Affairs, Heritage Places Designation File # 4320-20/G1
Government House is notable for the following qualities:
- the formal symmetry of its Georgian architecture
- the prominence of its physical setting overlooking the Charlottetown Harbour
- the arrangement of 9 over 6 over 6 lights in the sash windows
- the verandahs and porticos
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Designated Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
Function - Category and Type
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Community and Cultural Affairs, PO Box 2000, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Cross-Reference to Collection
Fanningbank, or Government House is a large, wood framed, Georgian influenced residence for Prince Edward Island's Lieutenant Governors. Set on a large treed lot, it has a…
Barton Lodge is a rare and unique example of a sandstone house located in the rural community of South Winsloe.