Home / Accueil

St. Catherine's Anglican Cemetery

Prince Albert RM 461, Saskatchewan, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/11/05

View of cemetery, with commemorative cairn in background, 2009.; Ross Herrington, 2009.
Cemetery
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Catherine's Anglican Cemetery
St. Catherine's Anglican Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/03/23

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Catherine’s Anglican Cemetery is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Rural Municipality of Prince Albert No. 461, approximately seven kilometres west of the City of Prince Albert along Highway 302. Occupying a wooded knoll, the property features an active cemetery, dating from 1877.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of St. Catherine’s Anglican Cemetery resides in its association with early English Métis settlers in the Prince Albert area. The English Métis communities originated in the 1860s with the founding of the Isbister Settlement immediately west of the present city of Prince Albert. The community was named for James Isbister, an English Métis who freighted for the Hudson’s Bay Company at Fort Carlton in the 1850s, but had settled in this area by 1860. The Isbister Settlement became the nucleus for other English Métis who migrated from the Red River Settlement area of Manitoba following the Riel resistance of 1869-70. St. Catherine’s Anglican Church, which occupied two separate buildings on this property between 1877 and 1988, became a hub of activity in the community and is commemorated by a cairn featuring the remains of the original bell. The associated cemetery serves as the final resting place of many of the early Isbister Settlement pioneers.

Source:

Rural Municipality of Prince Albert No. 461 Bylaw No. 4 of 2007.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. Catherine’s Anglican Cemetery lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the cemetery’s association with the early settlers, including the rows of grave markers, the stone cairn with brass plaque and the remains of the original church bell.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

2007/11/05

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1877/01/01 to 1877/12/31

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File No: MHP 363

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 363

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places