Home / Accueil

North Head School

130 Route 776, Grand Manan, New Brunswick, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2010/01/11

Image of the North Head School as it looks today. It is continuing to serve its community as the Business Centre where office space is available for rent.; Grand Manan Historical Society
North Head School, winter 2010
Image of the North Head School with the North Head Show Hall and the Church of Ascension on the hill. This image is prior to  when the church built a parish hall in 1904.; Grand Manan Archives, P8 photo collection
North Head School pre-1904
No Image

Other Name(s)

North Head School
Grand Manan Business Centre
Grand Manan Business Centre
Superior School
École supérieure

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1914/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/03/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The North Head School is located directly on the roadside of Route 776 adjacent to the North Head Show Hall. It is about a half mile from the ferry terminal. On the eastern side of the School is a Farmer’s Market operated seasonally through the summer months. This two-storey institutional building from the early 20th century reflects classical influences of earlier Georgian and Neo-Classical architectural styles.

Heritage Value

The North Head School is designated a Local Historic Place for being the location where many Islanders received their education from 1914 to 1978. It was known as the North Head Superior School as it was the first to offer the higher grades on the Island until a High School was built in 1948. From 1948 to 1978 it was the North Head Elementary School. Major re-construction was done in 1989-1992 to turn the school into an office building. It then became known as The Grand Manan Business Centre. The Business Centre closed when the Village of Grand Manan took over and moved into it in 2007. In 2009, The Village Office moved into new facilities and the offices were opened for rent once again - under the ownership of the Village of Grand Manan.

The North Head School is also recognized for its architecture. It is a good example of the style of educational buildings that were being constructed in rural areas around New Brunswick during the early 20th century. Many of the superior and consolidated schools from this period reflected a resurgence of Georgian institutional architecture. This style is evident in such details as the large front-facing pediment with an oculus-style vent, the mutli-paned windows and the hipped roof.

Source: Grand Manan Archives - Local Heritage Places file

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe the North Head School include:
- symmetrical two-storey massing;
- multi-paned single and paired sash windows;
- simple window surrounds;
- cedar shingle siding with detailed corner boards;
- hipped roof with moderate eave overhang;
- wide fascia boards;
- central projecting frontispiece including the main entrance and a large pediment with oculus-style vent.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2010/01/11

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1989/01/01 to 1992/01/01
1948/01/01 to 1948/01/01
1914/01/01 to 1978/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Community
Civic Space

Historic

Education
Primary or Secondary School

Architect / Designer

William Ganderton

Builder

Bell

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Grand Manan Archives, 1141 Route 776, Grand Manan, NB

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

2022

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places