Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This former schoolhouse is a one-and-one-half storey structure with a gable roof. Located on the Warren Road, it is on the south side of the Mill River on a small partially treed lot surrounded by farmland.
The building is valued as an example of a former one-room schoolhouse and for its contribution to the cultural heritage of the community of Fortune Cove.
The first rural school in Fortune Cove was constructed in 1864 on the north side of the Cove. It was replaced in 1888 by the current building which was built 1 km south of the first school in order to be more centrally located. Thomas Warren won the contract to construct the school which cost him more than what he had bid.
The school was operational as Number 34, until consolidation in 1970 at which time it became a summer cottage. In recent years, the current owner has made it his full time residence.
The building retains some of its original fenestration including the six-over-six windows in the front elevation which also have their window caps.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A47
The heritage value of the former school is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the one-and-one-half storey massing
- the wood frame construction
- the steeply pitched gable roof
- the symmetrical facade with central entrance
- the six-over-six windows with caps
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- One-Room School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A47
Cross-Reference to Collection