Links and documents
1877/01/01 to 1879/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This rectangular building with gable roof is located on the southwest corner of Church and Central Streets in Alberton about two hundred metres from the town centre. It features wood shingle cladding with scalloped shingles in the gable end. Some original two-over-two windows remain intact.
The Institute Hall is valued as the site of the first town hall in Alberton and for its later use as the location of social activities in the town.
John Keefe, a pioneer businessman and landowner in Alberton, had the building constructed from 1877 to 1879. It served as the village or town hall for many years. The first movies to be shown in Alberton were in this building in 1915-1916. The painter, Hubert Rogers, later also operated a movie theatre from 1919-1920. Roy Leard also had a cinema in the building from 1948-1950.
In 1928, it was purchased by the Women's Institute and became the host of numerous meetings, theatrical plays, and concerts. It also had a substantial renovation with the lower floor being removed and a concrete basement installed. The second floor was reinforced to support larger audiences and a new kitchen and furnace were added.
By 1967, the Women's Institute sold the building to the newly formed branch of the Lions Club. They owned the property until they relocated in the early 1970s. It was then purchased by Perley and Wes Hardy who used it as a warehouse for their department store on Main Street.
In recent years, the hall has been vacant except for seasonal businesses. In the summer of 2009, for example, it was the location of an antiques store.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A45
The heritage value of the building is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the one-and-one-half storey massing and rectangular footprint
- the gable roof
- the brick chimneys
- the wood frame and wood shingle cladding with some scallop shingles in the gables
- the projecting cornice over the double entrance doors
- the remaining two-over-two and four-over-four windows
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Learning and the Arts
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Town or City Hall
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A45
Cross-Reference to Collection