Home / Accueil

St. Michael's Parish House

1963 Iona Road, Route 206, Iona, Prince Edward Island, C0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2001/12/10

1963 Iona Road; St. Michael's Parish, 2001
Showing verandah and Gothic window in gable
1963 Iona Road; St. Michael's Parish, 2001
Showing side elevation with bay window on left
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Michael's Parish House
Seven Hills Tourist Home

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/11/01

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The St. Michael's Parish House is a white one-and-one-half storey Gothic Revival building with a centre gable roof. It is located in the rural community of Iona on spacious grounds near the church and cemetery. The registration includes the footprint of the building.

Heritage Value

The community of Iona was founded by Irish immigrants in the 1820s. The parish house was constructed in approximately the year 1870. It is a well preserved example of a centre gable Gothic Revival house in PEI. It has sustained few alterations since the late 19th century.

The house was first used by visiting priests, especially Father James Phelan of Vernon River and his brother Father William Phelan of Montague. The first resident priest was Father Corbett who resided here from 1884 to 1890. He was born in New Brunswick and was renowned in the area as a talented fiddler.

Rev. James Phelan left Vernon River and moved to Iona in 1891, residing in the parish house until 1908. He had come from Kilkenny in Ireland as a missionary. He also served as vicar general of the diocese. He was succeeded by Father Gaudet of Palmer Road from 1908 to 1913. Subsequent clergy to reside in the house included: Father Smith from Kelly's Cross (1913-1919); Father Duffy from Kinkora (1919-1933); Father McCarthy of Rollo Bay (1933-1952); and Father McKenna of Kinkora (1952-1971).

During the 1930s with the advent of radio, Father McCarthy was known to invite parishoners into the house to listen to the Lenten devotions which were broadcast live from St. Dunstan's Basilica in Charlottetown.

No longer used as a parochial house, the building is now called the Seven Hills Tourist Home and welcomes guests to the area.

Source: PEI Heritage Advisory Committee Minutes, File # 4310-20/S5

Character-Defining Elements

The following Gothic Revival elements embody the heritage value of the parish house:

- the one-and-one-half storey massing
- the pitched roof and centre gable design with eave returns and decorative bargeboards
- the elaborate large gothic window in the upper gable on the front elevation
- the decorated verandah on the front elevation
- the symmetry of the window style and placement on the front elevation (somewhat altered with the addition of a modern picture window replacing 2 original windows on the left side)
- the bay windows on both side elevations



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type


Tourist Facility


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/S5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places