River Crest Acres Barn
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
River Crest Acres Barn is a large two-and-a-half storey gambrel-roofed, Pennsylvania style barn located on River Crest Acres Farm in the south shore community of Clyde River.
River Crest Acres Barn is valued for its age, rare construction method and integrity of original architectural elements.
This barn is an integral part of the 122 acre River Crest Farm located in the south shore community of Clyde River fronting on the Clyde and West Rivers. The barn was constructed by local men in 1937 led by builder Kenison McKinnon and possibly assisted by Angus Darrach, a former owner. It is said that some of the materials used were recovered from an earlier barn on the property. The barn was built into the side of a hill, a method used to provide protection from the north winds. Very few barns built in this method are found in the province. The farm was first settled by the Darrach family who arrived in area in 1806 from Scotland. The property passed through generations of the family until Neil Darrach left Prince Edward Island for California, and Dan and Doris MacNeill took over ownership. This farm was adjacent to the original MacNeill homestead in Clyde River, settled by Alexander MacNeill (1760-1863) who also immigrated to Clyde River from Scotland in 1806. Dan and Doris MacNeill were involved in mixed farming operations with livestock and various crops including strawberries. The proximity to the West River provided the opportunity to fish smelts which the MacNeills exported to the Berman Fish Company in Fulton Market in New York City. The river was a valuable resource to those farming close-by. Mussel mud digging was a busy winter occupation involving several farmers. The ice on the river was cut and a digger, metal mud fork, and horse and capstan were used to gather the calcium-rich mud used to improve farm fields for cultivation. The mud was loaded and hauled by horse and sleigh to farms in the area. River Crest Farm was ideally located close to the mussel beds and was one of several farms in the area engaged in this activity. Mussel mud digging implements were stored in the barn.
The barn continues to be an important building in the continuing operation of the farm, housing cows, chickens and sheep. The current owners have also raised dairy goats on a commercial basis.
Other associated buildings on the farm include an 1884 mansard-roofed home, a 1940s barn, an implement shed, pig barn, woodshed and garage.
Source: Culture & Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism & Culture, Charlottetown, PEI
File #: 4310-20/B8
The heritage value of the barn is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the gambrel roof
- the construction of the barn, with the north side built into the side of a hill
- the placement of the doors
- the double barn doors
- the placement of the windows
- the series of six-paned windows on the south elevation
- the cedar shingle cladding
- the placement of the barn forming an integral component of the farm yard
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Extraction and Production
Function - Category and Type
- Food Supply
- Farm or Ranch
- Food Supply
- Barn, Stable or Other Animal Housing
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/B8
Cross-Reference to Collection