Home / Accueil

Caledonia Presbyterian Church

2064 Murray Harbour Road, Rte. 24, Caledonia, Prince Edward Island, C0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2010/03/26

Side elevation; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2099
Side elevation
Front elevation; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
Front elevation
Front facade detail; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
Front facade detail

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1876/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2012/01/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

A provincially registered heritage place, the Caledonia Presbyterian Church is a rural wood-frame, wood-shingled maritime vernacular church located in the crossroads community of Caledonia.

Heritage Value

Caledonia Presbyterian Church is valued for its simple architecture, its importance to the landscape and for its connections with the Presbyterian church and Scottish heritage of its community.

Caledonian Presbyterian Church was built in 1876 by local residents. The Caledonia and Valleyfield area was first settled by Gaelic-speaking Highland Scots from the Isle of Skye in 1858. Caledonia is a romantic or poetic name for Scotland. Residents would have attended services in Valleyfield prior to the construction of this church. The church is simple in its architecture, with a single gable and paired rectangular four-over-four windows. The three-stage spire is a later addition placed on top of the roof rather than on a tower. A more recent sign located above the door is inscribed with the Gaelic "Taigh Dhe" which translates to "House of God", a reminder of its Scottish heritage. The church interior remained unfinished for nearly 25 years and for the first fifteen years, the congregation did not have a permanent minister, but met regularly to sing hymns and psalms in Gaelic. Ministers from neighbouring communities occasionally held services until Rev. John Sutherland was inducted as minister in 1890. Many of the church members were Gaelic-speaking. Rev. Allister Murray was the last Gaelic-speaking minister at Caledonia, having left in 1935.

Some interior renovations were made in 1900 when a balcony and stairs were installed. The steeple was also added at this time as well as a porch and vestry addition to the front of the church. In 1936 the interior plaster walls were re-finished in Douglas fir, new wooden front doors were installed by local carpenter Dan L. McPherson and the balcony and stairs were removed. Other than small changes to the exterior -- white paint, vinyl siding on the steeple, asphalt shingle roof and exterior metal storm windows -- the church has remained very much as it appeared in 1936.

A manse, since demolished, was located across the road from the church. It had been built during the time of Rev. John Sutherland's ministry sometime after 1890 and was in use until 1948. In 1943 the Caledonia Presbyterian church joined the pastoral charge of Wood Islands but now forms part of the Murray Harbour North Pastoral Charge.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PEI
File #: 4310-20/C9

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the church is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the wood frame construction
- the placement and size of the windows
- the large paired rectangular four-over-four windows
- the panelled doors with decorative inset panelling above the entrance
- the roof pitch and the decorative eave brackets
- the three-tiered spire and its placement on the roof
- the Gaelic "Taigh Dhe" sign above the entrance doors
- its location on the Murray Harbour Road

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date

2010/03/26

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PEI File #: 4310-20/C9

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4310-20/C9

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places