St. James Anglican Church Registered Heritage Structure
Carbonear, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1Y, Canada
Links and documents
1860/01/01 to 1864/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built in 1860 during the episcopacy of Bishop Edward Feild, St. James Anglican Church is a two storey wooden church designed in the Gothic Revival style. Located on a hill overlooking the town of Carbonear, St. James Anglican Church has been an important landmark in the community for almost 150 years. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
St. James Anglican Church is designated as a Registered Heritage Structure due to its architectural value, historic associations and cultural value.
St. James Church provides an excellent example of the Gothic Revival style as adapted in small churches in Newfoundland and Labrador. This church represents a simplified version of Gothic Revival and elements such as the exposed timber framing on the interior of the church embody the style of design inspired by Tractarian practices. Built by the people of Carbonear, this sturdy structure has withstood almost 150 years of exposure to the elements and is a testament to the quality of the local craftsmanship at the time.
St. James Anglican Church is an good example of a typical small High Anglican church built in rural Newfoundland during the Victorian period. In particular, the layout of the church is representative of this period. There is a bell tower with a steeple at the west end of the nave and an intricate high lancet arched roof on the interior of the church. Furthermore, there are Gothic stained glass windows throughout the church as well as elaborate tracery in a number of windows.
St. James Church is historically valuable because of its long standing role as the centre of the Anglican parish that serves Harbour Grace and Carbonear. Commissioned by Bishop Edward Feild in 1852, the church is an important reflection of Bishop Feild’s work to expand the Anglican community in Newfoundland and Labrador. Bishop Feild had an important influence on religious, political and educational life of Newfoundland and Labrador during his episcopacy. The introduction of the Gothic Revival style was the architectural expression of Bishop Feild’s Tractarian views. A rural High Anglican Church, St. James Church represents the efforts at High Anglicanism of Bishop Feild during his episcopacy
St. James Anglican Church is a focal point of the cultural landscape of Carbonear and can be seen from both land and sea.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, file# M-037-002 Carbonear- St. James Anglican Church.
All those interior and exterior features that are representative of the ecclesiastical Gothic Revival style of architecture, including:
-lancet windows, tracery, and stained glass;
-interior exposed timber ceiling;
-location and context of the church within the Carbonear landscape;
-steep pitched gable roof of nave;
-use of narrow reveal wooden clapboard on the building exterior; and,
-building height, massing, dimensions and size.
Newfoundland and Labrador
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
Historic Resources Act
Registered Heritage Structure
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, 1 Springdale Street, St. John's, NL, A1C 5V5
Cross-Reference to Collection