Home / Accueil

Waterford Hall

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1E, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1993/05/15

View of front facade and right side, Waterford Hall, St. John's, 2004; HFNL 2005
Waterford Hall, St. John's
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/01/19

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Waterford Hall is a three storey Queen Anne Revival style building located at 185 Waterford Bridge Road, St. John’s. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Heritage Value

Waterford Hall has been designated a registered heritage structure because of its historical and architectural values.

Historically, the Waterford Manor is significant because of the prominent figures associated with it. In 1917, the original owner, Andrew Delgado, sold the house to the Honorable Sir Edgar R. Bowring. Bowring and his family are famous in Newfoundland history for their involvement in the island's business and political worlds. However, the family is also known for its philanthropy. In 1911 Edgar Bowring made available $30,000 for the establishment of a park that still bears his family's name. While Bowring still owned the house, it was used a convalescent home for those men injured in the First World War. In 1929 Bowring sold the house to the Honorable Peter Cashin. Cashin himself is no stranger in Newfoundland history. He served as a minister in the Newfoundland government and used Waterford Manor as his residence. After leaving Newfoundland for a number of years, he returned and became the most outspoken anti-confederate voice in the National Convention debates between 1946 and 1948. In 1936 the Cashins sold the house to Robert B. Job, another prominent businessman and politician. Like Cashin, Job was actively involved in the National Convention and was an avowed anti-confederate. He retained the house until 1946 when he sold it to the government.

Architecturally, the Waterford Hall is valuable because it was built by noted Newfoundland architect, William F. Butler. Butler, who was responsible for designing many of the larger Queen Anne style homes in the St. John’s region, is well known for his decorative detailing and craftsmanship. Waterford Hall boasts many of the features typical to Queen Anne, most notably its three imposing turrets and attractive main entranceway.

Source: HFNL unnumbered designation file: "St. John's - Waterford Hall."

Character-Defining Elements

All original features which relate to the age and design of the building in the Queen Anne Revival style as interpreted by architect William F. Butler, including:
-asymmetrical roofline, turrets, pediments;
-narrow wooden clapboard;
-band windows;
-original windows;
-original doors including leaded-glass insert;
-exterior decoration including large decorative eaves, finials, eaves brackets, dentils;
-location and appearance of pedimented peaked dormers;
-moulded trim along windows and doors;
-building dimensions and location.

All interior features that reflect the age and original design of the building, including:
-interior mouldings and mantels; and,
-main staircase.



Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Authority

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Statute

Historic Resources Act

Recognition Type

Registered Heritage Structure

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

William F. Butler



Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador 1 Springdale Street, St. John’s Newfoundland, A1C 5V5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places