Home / Accueil

GIBSON BLOCK BUILDING

9608 Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5H, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1994/05/30

Southwest corner of the Gibson Block Building on Jasper Avenue (January 2004).; City of Edmonton, 2004
Southwest corner.
South elevation of the Gibson Block Building looking towards Jasper Avenue (January 2004).; City of Edmonton, 2004
South elevation.
No Image

Other Name(s)

GIBSON BLOCK BUILDING
Flatiron Building
Gibson Block
Schubert and Wenzel Block

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1913/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/03/07

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Gibson Block Building, also known as the Flatiron Building, is a large wedge-shaped four-storey brick building constructed for commercial use on four city lots at the eastern edge of Edmonton's pre-World War One commercial core.

Heritage Value

The Gibson Block Building is valued as a rare example of a commercial building following the 1902 prototype of a flatiron building, so named for its distinctive triangular shape. The building design, with Chicago style influences, balances the vertical emphasis of pilasters and windows with the horizontal presentation of the continuous glass shop fronts and first storey and fourth storey cornices.

Developed by William Gibson, the Gibson Block Building characterizes the historic wave of prosperity and opportunity at the height of the commercial boom in pre-World War One Edmonton. Originally built to provide first floor retail space and offices on the remaining floors, the building's use has evolved with Edmonton's changing economic fortunes and has included office, retail and for a significant part of the historic period, the well-known Turkish Baths, which closed in 1978.

The Gibson Block Building's triangular form and prominent location on Jasper Avenue contribute to its valued local landmark status.

Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw: 10621)

Character-Defining Elements

Key character-defining elements of the Gibson Block Building include:
- Massing and form of the building, in particular the triangular shape;
- Chicago style influences such as the brick pilasters, the continuous glass shop front at street level and the entablatures and cornices on the first level and at top of the building;
- Design elements such as the decorative square motif in brick and concrete, the restored amethyst prism glass, the cornice medallions, the stairwell windows on the north facade, including the fourth storey brick semicircular arch;
- The curved windows at the toe of the wedged shaped building;
- The south facade semicircular wooden archway main entrance with keystone design, including the doors and globe lights;
- Recessed storefront entrances and ceramic tiles on the south facade;
- The window openings, one over one, with cast stone sills.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Alberta

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (AB)

Recognition Statute

Historical Resources Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Historic Resource

Recognition Date

1994/05/30

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Residence
Group Residence

Historic

Commerce / Commercial Services
Office or Office Building
Residence
Multiple Dwelling

Architect / Designer

A.W. Cowley

Builder

J. Sheridan

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (Digital File: HC 2155)

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4664-0042

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places