Links and documents
1854/01/01 to 1875/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
34 Queen’s Road is a semi-detached, 3 storey stone structure located at 34 Queen’s Road, St. John’s. The designation includes the footprint of the building and iron fence.
34 Queen’s Road was designated a Registered Heritage Structure because it has aesthetic and historic values.
It achieves aesthetic value because it is an interesting example of a mid-19th century masonry structure. Built prior to the Great Fire of 1892 this house survived the devastating tragedy that consumed almost all of St. John’s. The house was not unscathed, however, because while the exterior walls survived, the interior had to be rebuilt. Today, the house retains most of the original characteristics and is a testament to its excellent construction.
34 Queen’s Road is a fine example of Queen Anne style, with its asymmetrical façade and two storey bay windows. Because this house is one of a duplex the proportions are significantly smaller, and while a substantial front porch is usual for the style, this house has a small one, enclosing just the front door. Details on the porch are in keeping with the simply moulded window trim, and an embossed fanlight and narrow side lights add an open feeling to the small space. The front façade is sheathed in brick, while the remaining sides are constructed of rough cut ashlar. The side and rear windows are enhanced by the brick trim surrounding them. Windows vary in size and shape yet, are proportional and in keeping with the style. The use of brick and stone in St. John’s is quite unusual in a residential property, yet this house fits into the neighbourhood quite fluidly. The property is enclosed by an original iron fence and sandstone steps with an iron railing lead to the front door.
34 Queen’s Road has historic value because it is associated with several important Newfoundlanders who owned the house. The house was built for Christopher Ayre who was the Colonial Secretary of Newfoundland during the period of Cochrane’s governorship. The next owner was Elizabeth Wakeham who was the wife of R.R. Wakeham, who together with W. B. Rowe, was a lawyer by profession. Rowe was the next owner, and he served as the Member of the House of Assembly (MHA) for Trinity in 1834 and for Fortune in 1837. He became Solicitor General in 1841 and a member of the Legislative Council that same year. The next owner was William Whiteway who was Prime Minister of Newfoundland from 1889-1893. Following this were William Mare and Philip Hutchins, both merchants; Elizabeth Bond, mother of Sir Robert Bond, Prime Minister of Newfoundland at the turn of the 20th century; W.C. Simms, a medical doctor; and R.A. Parsons, lawyer and poet.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador unnumbered property designation file, 1 Springdale Street, St. John's, NL, A1C 5V5
All those elements that reflective of the building's age and design, including:
-steeply pitched roof;
-2 storey bay windows;
-window openings, dimensions;
-embossed fanlight and side lights;
-iron fence; and,
-location, orientation and dimensions.
Newfoundland and Labrador
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
Historic Resources Act
Registered Heritage Structure
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, 1 Springdale Street, NL, A1C 5V5
Cross-Reference to Collection