Home / Accueil

Stable / Garage Recognized Federal Heritage Building

1 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1M, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2002/07/18

No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1866/01/01 to 1867/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/03/30

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Stable Building is an elegant Neoclassical building that is comprised of three distinct but connected components: the former coach house, the former stables and the former coachman's residence. Arranged in a T-shaped plan, the central coach house section, which is one and a half storeys at the front and two storeys at the rear, is flanked by one-storey stable wings. The front of the building follows a simple, Neoclassical design, is clad in stucco, and has a gable roof, whereas
the rear of the building consists of a more informal composition and features a hipped roof and wood clapboard siding. Originally built to serve as the stable and carriage house for the Governor General's residence, the Stable Building is located behind the main residence, in the agricultural service area of the estate. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Heritage Value

The Stable Building is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values:

Historical value:
The Stable Building is associated with the national historical theme of the establishment of Rideau Hall as the official residence of the Governor General in association with the creation of the Canadian parliamentary system of government. Crucial to the establishment of the official residence and an important component of this 19th century British country-estate, the Stable Building was built to house a key support function and was central to the ceremonial aspects of the Governor General's role. The Stable Building also illustrates a significant phase in the history of the community, when 88 acres of land were carved out of the original Mackay estate to establish the Governor General's residence.

Architectural value:
In the context of an architectural type, the Stable Building is a very good example of a Neoclassical style stable building and also demonstrates Frederick Preston Rubridge's versatility as an architect. An elegant and symmetrical composition, the functional design of this well proportioned building is notable for having been able to accommodate the larger ceremonial carriages formerly used by the Governor General.

Environmental value:

Set behind the main residence, the Stable Building's immediate grounds are of a utilitarian character, while the architectural style of the building reinforces the picturesque setting of the grounds. The Stable Building is located on its original site in the agricultural service area of the estate, and was essential to the original plan of this 19th century British country-estate which was divided into physically and thematically distinct areas such as a service area, a densely wooded area, the entrance grounds, grassed parklands, pleasure grounds and vegetable garden. The Stable Building is familiar to the staff of Rideau Hall, to those who visit the estate regularly, and people who live in the established neighbourhood.

Laurie Smith, Former Stable and Coach House Building, Rideau Hall, Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario. Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Building Report 86-24.
Stable Building, Rideau Hall, Ottawa, Ontario. Heritage Character Statement 86-024.

Character-Defining Elements

The following character-defining elements of the Stable Building should be respected, for example:

Its Neoclassical style, quality materials and craftsmanship as manifested in:
-the elegant, symmetrical composition of the building consisting of a T-shaped plan with a central coach house section which is one and a half storeys at the front (south) and two storeys at the rear (north), and is flanked by one-storey stable wings;
-the simple, formal treatment of the front (south) elevation of the building which is clad with stucco and features the coach house's central projecting bay and gable roof, visually links the building with the main residence;
-the informal treatment of the rear (north) elevation which features a hipped roof and wood clapboard siding, visually links the building with the agricultural service area of the estate;
-the shape and detailing of the regularly spaced openings including the double-hung windows;
-the large interior volumes of the hayloft and central access hall, as well as the two large doors at either end of the building which allowed the larger ceremonial carriages to pass through the building;
-the tongue and groove panelling worn in places by the horses in the stable wings.

The manner in which the building reinforces the character of the setting as evidenced in:
-the immediate grounds which are utilitarian in character and form part of the agricultural service area of the estate;
-its relationship to the circulation patterns including the access road and turning circle adjacent to the stable which date back to the Mackay estate era;
-the Neoclassical style of the building, particularly the south elevation and views to it, reinforce the picturesque character of the grounds of this 19th century British country-estate.




Recognition Authority

Government of Canada

Recognition Statute

Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy

Recognition Type

Recognized Federal Heritage Building

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Function - Category and Type


Diplomatic Building


Architect / Designer

Frederick Preston Rubridge



Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

National Historic Sites Directorate, Canadian Inventory of Historic Building Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 525, 25 Eddy Street, Hull, Quebec.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places

General view

Rideau Hall and Landscaped Grounds National Historic Site of Canada

Rideau Hall and Landscaped Grounds is a large wooded estate located near the Ottawa River in the nation’s capital. Since 1864 it has served as the residence of the Governor…


Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places