Wolseley Court House
SE corner of Ouimet and Richmond Street, Wolseley, Saskatchewan, S0G, Canada
Wolseley Court House
Lakeside Nursing Home Annex
Home for the Infirm Annex
Links and documents
1893/01/01 to 1895/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Wolseley Court House is a Provincial Heritage Property located on a landscaped block of land at the corner of Ouimet and Richmond Street within the Town of Wolseley. It is a one-storey brick building with a fieldstone foundation built between 1893 and 1895.
The heritage value of the Wolseley Court House lies in its status as the oldest surviving court house in Saskatchewan. Built between 1893 and 1895, the building is the only remaining court house from the Territorial period of Saskatchewan history. The choice of Wolseley for the new Judicial District reflects the importance of the town during the early settlement period. The building ceased operation as a court house in 1909, but continued to serve as a public building in the community for many years.
The heritage value of the property also lies in its architecture. The building was designed under the direction of Thomas Fuller, Chief Dominion Architect and constructed by local notables R. A. Magee and E.A. Banbury. Built of brick and fieldstone the building exhibits a Georgian influence in its simple symmetrical layout, hip roof and the arrangement of its windows. In the early 1980’s, the porch, cupola and sheet metal roof were restored to reflect its original function as a court house.
Situated on a well landscaped plot of land, the Wolseley Court House is also valued for its grounds. The landscaping reflects the property’s prestigious nature as it is set back from the roadway and overlooks the town lake. The prestige of the property is further enhanced through its connection with the town’s commercial district via a pedestrian swing bridge.
Province of Saskatchewan, Notice of Intention to Designate as Provincial Heritage Property under the Heritage Property Act, August 18, 1982.
Province of Saskatchewan, Order to Designate as Provincial Heritage Property under the Heritage Property Act, November 24, 1982.
The heritage value of the Wolseley Court House resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those exterior elements that speak to the building’s use as a court house, such as the brick façade, the flag pole, the sheet metal roof, the wood-frame porch and cupola;
-those original elements of the interior that reflect the building’s use as a courthouse, such as the basement jail cells and wood mouldings;
-those elements that reflect the prestigious nature of the property, such as the surrounding landscape and its position on the lake at the entrance of the swing bridge.
Government of Saskatchewan
Heritage Property Act, s. 39(1)
Provincial Heritage Property
1893/01/01 to 1909/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Security and Law
Function - Category and Type
- Correctional Facility
- Courthouse and/or Registry Office
Architect / Designer
Banbury and Magee
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Conservation Branch,
Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport,
3211 Albert Street,
Regina, Saskatchewan S4S 5W6
Cross-Reference to Collection