Description of Historic Place
The Former Smithy and Carpenter's Shop is a simple, unadorned red brick building with a rectangular plan, simple openings, a low pitched gable roof, and a chimney on the southeast end of the building. The Former Smithy and Carpenter's Shop is located along the northeast shore of Georges Island National Historic Site of Canada, among the archaeological remains of the former submarine mining establishment, and is one of only six remaining structures from the second developmental phase. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Former Smithy and Carpenter's Shop is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values:
The Former Smithy and Carpenter's Shop is associated with the defence of the Imperial naval station during a period of rapid advance in weaponry and an evolving strategy of defence which included the submarine mining of the harbour. The Former Smithy and Carpenter's Shop was constructed during the second developmental phase of the submarine mining establishment at the Halifax defence complex (1885-1905) and was an integral part of this permanent establishment. Few buildings remain from among the many structures built for submarine mining at the Halifax defence complex or elsewhere in Canada.
The Former Smithy and Carpenter's Shop is a good example of a specialized military structure. The interior of the building is divided into two rooms by a brick wall with an adjoining door, and reflects the simple functional program for which it was designed.
The Former Smithy and Carpenter's Shop reinforces the military character of the former submarine mining establishment, and as an essential component of this historic grouping of buildings, it is familiar to visitors to the island.
Rhona Goodspeed, Former Stores Building No.110, Georges Island N.H.S.C., Halifax Defence Complex, Halifax, Nova Scotia. Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Building Report 95-001, Vol.2.
Former Stores Building No.110, Georges Island N.H.S.C., Halifax Defence Complex, Halifax, Nova Scotia. Heritage Character Statement 95-001.
The following character-defining elements of Former Smithy and Carpenter's Shop should be respected, for example:
Its simple functional design, competent craftsmanship and good quality materials as manifested in:
-the composition of the building which consists of a low pitched gable roof and a rectangular plan deep enough
to accommodate the two former functions of the smithy and the carpenter's shop;
-the pattern of openings which reflect the nature of the functions being performed inside the building such as
the tall, operable windows in each of the side walls, and the double door on the water side of the former
carpenter's shop, as well as the tall, operable windows and single door of the former smithy;
-the solid brick walls constructed in the English bond pattern with camber jack arched openings and lug sills
and thresholds made from cut stone; and,
-the solid brick partition and communicating door with shallow segmental profile and rowlock arch, between
the former smithy and carpenter's shop.
The manner in which it reinforces the military character of the setting as evidenced in:
-its proximity to the archaeological remains of the establishment and compatibility with the remaining
structures still standing on Georges Island.