Holland Grove House, Inn on the Hill
William Brown House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Holland Grove House is a two and a half storey inn, with Queen Anne influences. The former residence was turned into a double tenement in 1898 and a century later was converted into a part of the Inn on the Hill called Holland Grove House. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.
The heritage value of Holland Grove House lies in its association with the William Brown family, its Queen Anne architectural influences, and its importance to the Fitzroy Street streetscape.
Businessman, William Brown, built the Queen Anne influenced home shortly after 1857. William, and his brother Ambrose, had operated the dry goods store, W&A Brown on Victoria Row, Richmond Street. Unfortunately, a fire destroyed the store in 1884. Brown sold the home to Arthur W. Weeks in 1898, who in turn had the home turned into a double tenement using plans provided by architect, C.B. Chappell. The Weeks Family remained in the home for many years.
In 1999, the tenement was converted into an extension of the Inn on the Hill and renamed Holland Grove House, in honor of the former Holland Grove Estate, which was located nearby. The Holland Grove Estate was owned by the colourful, eldest son of surveyor Samuel Holland, John Frederick Holland (circa 1764-1845). When Holland fell on hard times financially he rented the main house of the estate to the Government as a residence for the Lieutenant Governor from 1826-1834. The property changed hands and was lived in for a time by the Grubb family. The Grubbs allowed the Province’s first Flower Exhibition to be held on the property in 1851. In 1857, the property was sold to John George Hamilton Brown whose descendants tore the main house down and subdivided the estate into building lots. Holland Grove became a fashionable building area of the mid to late 1800’s, with many large elaborate homes gracing the landscape.
The current Holland Grove House has been renovated at least twice and some of its Queen Anne details have been removed, such as the decorative two storey verandahs on the eastern and western sides of the building. However, the home is still quite striking and well kept. In an area with many beautiful heritage homes, as well as a large office complex, Holland Grove House plays an important role in supporting the heritage ambiance of the Fitzroy Street streetscape.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following Queen Anne influenced character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of Holland Grove House:
- The brick and stone foundation
- The style and placement of the windows, particularly the bay windows of the façade and the grouped windows of the west and east elevations
- The style and placement of the doors, with their stained glass transom and side lights
- The contrasting, simple trim running throughout the building’s exterior
- The verandahs on the east and west elevations, now made simpler in style with the removal of their second level and decorative details
- The variety of rooflines particularly the steeply gabled roof with its simple, but decorative cornice
Other character-defining elements include:
- The symmetrical façade with its bay projections
- The location of Holland Grove House on Fitzroy Street near the former Holland Grove area
- The wooden shingle siding
Prince Edward Island
City of Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Hotel, Motel or Inn
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Cross-Reference to Collection