Carrol House, Inns on Great George
64 Great George Street
Links and documents
1855/01/01 to 1863/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Carrol House is a wood framed, Neo-classical influenced inn located at 64 Great George Street. In the latter part of the 19th century, it was used as an oyster bar and tavern called L’Etoile du Nord but it is now part of the group of historic inns called the Inns on Great George. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.
The heritage value of the Carrol House lies in its association with John Carrol, its Neo-classical influenced architecture, and its importance to the streetscape.
John Howell, owner of the historic Wellington Hotel, originally owned the property where the Carrol House and the property next door to it are located. It is not clear exactly when the property was divided, but Alexander Coombs, who had married the grand daughter of Howell, was paying taxes on the Carrol House and his own property next door by 1855. The two townhouses were built at some point between 1855 and 1863, when Mrs. Coombs was advertising hand made candles from her home next-door. Although Mrs. Coombs owned the Carrol House, she rented it to John Carrol, a tavern keeper.
John Carrol applied for a license to operate a tavern from this location in 1873, but was turned down. Not deterred, Carrol must have received his license at some point as he ran an oyster parlour from the property, which he called L’Etoile du Nord. Oyster Parlours were very popular in the late 19th century and his business lasted until the 1890s. The property passed into the hands of the Smith family and later the McKenna family, both of which were longtime residents.
As a well preserved example of the Neo-classical style in the City, the building maintains its symmetrical facade together with a gabled roof, clapboard siding, and simple trim details.
Within the past ten years, the building has been renovated and converted into an historic inn that was named after its former owner, John Carrol. Part of a group of historic inns that line Great George Street, the Carrol House is a vital part of the Great George Street streetscape.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The heritage value of the Carrol House lies in the following Neo-classical influenced character-defining elements:
- The overall massing of the building
- The placement and style of the two over two windows
- The style and placement of the double doors on the northern corner of the building’s facade, with their Roman arched windows and upper fanlight all encompassed by ornate moldings surrounding the doorway
- Although a new addition, the doorstep with its decorative railing, adds to the overall look of the building
- The simple, contrasting trim running throughout the exterior of the building
- The pitch of the gabled roof with its central Scottish dormer
- The placement and style of the chimney
Other character-defining elements of the Carrol House include:
- Its location on Great George Street
Prince Edward Island
City of Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Hotel, Motel or Inn
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Eating or Drinking Establishment
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Cross-Reference to Collection