Building No. 22
Bâtimennt no 22
Foreman Pearson's House
Maison du contremaître Pearson
Links and documents
1909/01/01 to 1920/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Pearson’s House on the Bar U Ranch, also known as Building No. 22, is a simple one-storey near-square cabin, covered with a T-shaped gable roof. A brick chimney projects from the centre of the roof. The rear slope of the west-side gable extends beyond the eaves to cover a rear porch. The house’s exterior walls are sheathed with narrow tapered siding. The building’s colour scheme, (barn red walls and white trim), continues a tradition across the Prairies and matches other buildings on the site. It is now the focal point of the original residential area. It is associated with George Lane a prominent Alberta cattleman who was hired as ranch foreman at Bar U in 1884, and who ran the ranch between 1902 and 1925. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Pearson’s House is a Classified Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
This building is an excellent example of the national theme of ranching in Alberta, and its importance in the development of Canada. The structure is a component of the Bar U Ranch. Pearson’s House is linked to pre-1925 construction activity associated with the expansion of horse breeding activities at the Bar U. The ranch foreman was responsible for directing most of the ranch activity when the owner manager was away. This building therefore served an important role. It is one of two foreman’s residences on the site. The Pearson’s House is also associated with Patrick Burns, who purchased the Bar U Ranch in 1927 to add to his vast cattle empire. Burns who is recognised as the kingpin of the meat-processing industry in western Canada during the mid-1920s, has been designated a person of national significance.
Pearson’s House is a very good example of the agricultural building type used at ranches on the Western Prairies. The building incorporates good quality materials and craftsmanship. It is distinguished by its functional design and form, simple massing, common construction details, exterior finish, and interior layout. The building is constructed entirely from commercially manufactured lumber.
Pearson’s House was relocated in the late 1920s and is now the focal point of the original residential area located at the western end of the headquarters site. It is part of a cohesive complex of buildings arranged to great functional effect in an exceptional site and beautiful, natural setting. The Pearson’s House contributes to the character of the Bar U Ranch. This landmark value is reinforced by the designation of the Bar U Ranch as a national historic site of Canada.
Edward Mills, Historic Bar U Ranch Headquarters, Longview, Alberta. Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 92-017; Foreman Pearson’s House, (Building 22), Bar U Ranch, Longview, Alberta, Heritage Character Statement 92-017.
The character-defining elements of Pearson’s House should be respected.
Its agricultural building type and good quality materials and craftsmanship as manifested in:
- the building’s simple and plain massing;
- the gabled roof, clad with cedar shingles;
- the brick chimney;
- the light timber structural system;
- the exterior cladding of narrow tapered siding;
- its simple detailing;
- the red and white colour scheme;
The manner in which the building reinforces the character and setting of the Bar U Ranch.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Classified Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection
Bar U Ranch National Historic Site of Canada
Bar U Ranch National Historic Site of Canada comprises 148.43 hectares of rangeland that constitute the original headquarters site of an Alberta cattle ranch established in the…