031 King's Bridge Road
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1C, Canada
Links and documents
1914/01/01 to 1925/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
031 King's Bridge Road is one half of a two-and-a-half storey duplex located at the corner of King’s Bridge Road and Circular Road, St. John’s. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
031 King’s Bridge Road is designated a Municipal Heritage building because of its aesthetic and environmental values. This duplex is a beautiful example of Classical Revival architecture. It has symmetrical decoration, a pedimented covered, open porch and a peaked roof. There are two peaked dormers: one for each side of the duplex. The main entrance is located directly in the center of the house with stairs going down both sides. Along the stairs are carved spindles. This house has narrow wooden clapboard and wide pilaster corner boards, along with a wide raincap along the bottom of the house. The windows are 6/1 and have wide mouldings with decorative shutters.
031 and 033 King’s Bridge Road is environmental valuable because it sits on a mature lot, in an area of the city of equally grand and similarly aged homes.
Source: City of St. John's Archives property file: 031-033 King's Bridge Road.
All those elements that reflect the Classical Revival design, including:
-narrow wooden clapboard;
-shape, size, decoration and placement of windows;
-covered/open pedimented porch with elaborate double staircase columns;
-pilasters at corners of building;
-peaked dormer windows; and
-symmetry of façade creating an appearance of one large building.
Newfoundland and Labrador
City of St. John's
City of St. John's Act
City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
1 Springdale Street, St. John’s Newfoundland,
Cross-Reference to Collection