St. Anthony's Church (Grosswerder) at NW1/4-10-37-27-W3rd
Episcopal Corporation of Saskatoon
St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church
St. Anthony's Church
Links and documents
1912/01/01 to 1912/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Anthony’s Church (Grosswerder) at NW¼-10-37-27-W3rd is a Municipal Heritage Property in the Rural Municipality of Eye Hill No. 382. The approximately two hectare site features a wood-frame Roman Catholic parish church.
The heritage value of St. Anthony’s Church (Grosswerder) at NW¼-10-37-27-W3rd lies in its association with the local community. A Roman Catholic parish was established for the German Catholics who homesteaded the area between 1906 and 1907. Built in 1912, St. Anthony’s Church replaced a temporary church built out of sod. Several generations of parishioners had their baptisms, marriages and funerals under the vaulted ceiling of their church. St. Anthony’s was also a gathering place that hosted a variety of celebrations and meetings. The three church bells, cast in Germany in 1912, are particularly valued for their connection with the parishioners’ Germanic heritage. The bell tower dominates the landscape, making it a landmark in the community.
The heritage value of St. Anthony’s Church (Grosswerder) at NW¼-10-37-27-W3rd also lies in its architecture. Designed to emulate the familiar parish churches of central Europe, a subdued Neo-Gothic influence is evident. The decorative tracery along the vaulted ceiling, columns and plasterwork show a high attention to detail for a wood-frame parish church of this era. The Gothic-inspired form of the church and bell tower imbues this wood-frame structure with an uncommon sense of grandeur. A highly decorative pre-Vatican II altar and confessional complete the motif.
Rural Municipality of Eye Hill No. 38 Bylaw No. 2/84
The heritage value of St. Anthony’s Church (Grosswerder) at NW¼-10-37-27-W3rd resides in the following character defining elements:
-those elements which reflect the church’s subdued Neo-Gothic architecture, including the bell tower with alcove and inset statue, the pointed-arch windows, decorated columns and the plaster and carved wood detailing on the interior;
-those elements which reflect the church’s association with the community, such as its location on its original site, the bells, bell tower and the steeple.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 614
Cross-Reference to Collection