Home / Accueil

St. Anthony's Church (Grosswerder) at NW1/4-10-37-27-W3rd

Eye Hill RM 382, Saskatchewan, S0L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1984/02/07

Front Elevation, 1984.; Government of Saskatchewan, Frank Korvemaker, 1984.
St. Anthony's Church (Grosswerder)
Nave and Sanctuary, 2004.; Government of Saskatchewan, Michael Thome, 2004.
St. Anthony's Church (Grosswerder)
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Anthony's Church (Grosswerder) at NW1/4-10-37-27-W3rd
Episcopal Corporation of Saskatoon
St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church
St. Anthony's Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1912/01/01 to 1912/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/10/05

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Anthony’s Church (Grosswerder) at NW¼-10-37-27-W3rd is a Municipal Heritage Property in the Rural Municipality of Eye Hill No. 382. The approximately two hectare site features a wood-frame Roman Catholic parish church.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of St. Anthony’s Church (Grosswerder) at NW¼-10-37-27-W3rd lies in its association with the local community. A Roman Catholic parish was established for the German Catholics who homesteaded the area between 1906 and 1907. Built in 1912, St. Anthony’s Church replaced a temporary church built out of sod. Several generations of parishioners had their baptisms, marriages and funerals under the vaulted ceiling of their church. St. Anthony’s was also a gathering place that hosted a variety of celebrations and meetings. The three church bells, cast in Germany in 1912, are particularly valued for their connection with the parishioners’ Germanic heritage. The bell tower dominates the landscape, making it a landmark in the community.

The heritage value of St. Anthony’s Church (Grosswerder) at NW¼-10-37-27-W3rd also lies in its architecture. Designed to emulate the familiar parish churches of central Europe, a subdued Neo-Gothic influence is evident. The decorative tracery along the vaulted ceiling, columns and plasterwork show a high attention to detail for a wood-frame parish church of this era. The Gothic-inspired form of the church and bell tower imbues this wood-frame structure with an uncommon sense of grandeur. A highly decorative pre-Vatican II altar and confessional complete the motif.

Rural Municipality of Eye Hill No. 38 Bylaw No. 2/84

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. Anthony’s Church (Grosswerder) at NW¼-10-37-27-W3rd resides in the following character defining elements:
-those elements which reflect the church’s subdued Neo-Gothic architecture, including the bell tower with alcove and inset statue, the pointed-arch windows, decorated columns and the plaster and carved wood detailing on the interior;
-those elements which reflect the church’s association with the community, such as its location on its original site, the bells, bell tower and the steeple.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 614

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 614



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places