Old Anglican Cemetery
Cow Head, Newfoundland and Labrador, A0K, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Old Anglican Cemetery is the site of a mid-nineteenth century Anglican graveyard located on Charles' Hill at 007 Tucker's Road, Cow Head, Newfoundland and Labrador. This cemetery is built on a hill and faces the ocean. The designation includes the gravesites and surrounding land.
The Old Anglican Cemetery has been municipally designated because it holds historic values. This cemetery is the first Anglican graveyard in Cow Head and dates back to the children of the first settlers. It contains many of the gravesites of the first settlers of Cow Head: the Paynes, Hutchings, Bennett (Benoit), Vincents, Taylors, and Hewlin families. Ancestors of many these first settlers still reside in the community. The gravesites of the settlers overlook the harbour of Cow Head as these families earned their living from the sea. As well, placing graves near the ocean is a traditional method of burial which is common in most of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Source: Town of Cow Head, passed by a motion of council at a meeting held on February 17, 2003.
All those elements that reflect the early nineteenth century cemetery, including:
-location on a hill and overlooking the ocean; and
-the open space surrounding the gravesites.
Newfoundland and Labrador
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
1855/01/01 to 1855/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Dr. Henry Payne Community Museum 143 Main Street Cow Head NL A0K 2A0
Cross-Reference to Collection