Old Anglican Cemetery
Woody Point, Newfoundland and Labrador, A0K, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Old Anglican Cemetery is located on the hillside at 014 Shore Road in the community of Woody Point, and within the UNESCO World Heritage Site Gros Morne, Newfoundland and Labrador. The designation encompasses the gravesites surrounded by the fence.
The Old Anglican Cemetery is municipally designated because it is historically valuable.
The historical importance of this cemetery lies in its association with the founding settlers of Woody Point, who are laid to rest here. Woody Point was first settled in 1849 by John Roberts and his wife, Emma and their four children. They are buried in this cemetery. Another noteworthy early settler was Solomon Wilton, who donated his land for the construction of the Church of the Epiphany Anglican Church, which stands today. Wilton’s grave is also in this cemetery. The oldest headstone found in the cemetery dates from 1846 and according to church records there are approximately two hundred people laid to rest there, however less than fifty grave markers can be seen. The last burial for this cemetery took place in 1913.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador file number 1802 - Woody Point.
All those elements that define the early cemetery, including:
-headstones, including those with inscriptions;
-fence surrounding the gravesites; and
-location, orientation and dimensions.
Newfoundland and Labrador
Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land
1846/01/01 to 1913/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Office Town of Woody Point P.O. Box 100 Woody Point, NL A0K 1P0
Cross-Reference to Collection