Home / Accueil

The Rural Municipality of Harris #316 Office

Main Street, Harris, Saskatchewan, S0L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1987/11/04

Front elevation, 2004.; Government of Saskatchewan, Jennifer Bisson, 2004.
View from West
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

RM of Harris No. 316 Office
The Rural Municipality of Harris #316 Office

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1927/01/01 to 1927/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/02/16

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Rural Municipality of Harris #316 Office is a Municipal Heritage Property located on two civic lots on Main Street in the Village of Harris. The property features a brick-veneer building with crenellated parapet that was constructed in 1927.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of The Rural Municipality of Harris #316 Office resides in its status as the oldest remaining office building in the Village of Harris. Created from portions of four Local Improvement Districts, which had administered local services since 1905, the Rural Municipality of Harris was formally organized on December 12, 1910. It operated out of a temporary office until 1912, when a debate ensued between the residents of Harris and Tessier, its neighbouring town, over the location of the municipal office. Because of this debate, municipal administration moved back and forth between the two towns for eight years until a consensus was reached in 1920.

Heritage value also lies in the building's architecture. Constructed in 1927 at a cost of $5000, the new Rural Municipality office housed the clerk's office, council chambers, and provided space for the general civic administration of the surrounding rural municipality. Its symmetrical lines and brick-clad veneer reflect a simple, functional design while projecting an image of strength, permanence, and stability desired by public officials at that time. The crenellated roofline, an uncommon feature on public buildings in Saskatchewan, features a galvanized iron coping and brick detailing and contributes to the building's image of stability.

Located on Main Street, The Rural Municipality of Harris #316 Office still functions as the municipal office and is a landmark in the community.


Village of Harris Bylaw No. 63/87.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of The Rural Municipality of Harris #316 Office resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those features that speak to its use as a municipal office, including the original signage and vault;
-those elements that reflect the building's architectural design, such as its symmetrical lines, rectangular form and massing, red-brick veneer, window placement, crenellated roofline with galvanized iron coping, brick detailing at roofline and along windows and doorway, and concrete foundation and footings.
-its original location on Main Street.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Governing Canada
Government and Institutions

Function - Category and Type



Office or office building

Architect / Designer

J. Melrose Morrison



Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive File: MHP 978

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 978



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places