Home / Accueil

THE TAYLOR HOUSE

412 Main Street, Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2002/11/03

Main entry, south elevation; Yukon Government
Taylor House
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

THE TAYLOR HOUSE
THE TAYLOR HOUSE

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1937/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/02/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Taylor House is a 1.5 story log building on a double lot at the corner of Main Street and Fifth Avenue in downtown Whitehorse, Yukon.

Heritage Value

The Taylor House and lots is a municipally designated site recognized for its architecture and association with the Taylor family.

It was constructed in 1937 as a residence for Bill and Aline Taylor. The Taylor family contributed to the early growth and economic development of the Yukon through the mercantile chain, the Taylor and Drury Company. The company operated up to nineteen stores in Yukon communities from the turn of the century until the 1960s. This relatively large log home and spacious landscaped lots, by Whitehorse standards, reflects the success of the family-owned business and the upper class of Whitehorse of the period.

The design of the Taylor House is eclectic, showing the influence of the American Arts and Crafts Movement as well as the (American) Colonial Revival. It represents a type of housing design commonly self-built during its time period that could be found in national publications and catalogues. The Taylor House was built of mainly local construction materials combined with the most modern amenities that were available in Whitehorse.

The setting and location of the Taylor House is important as it portrays the residential ambiance that was once an integral part of Main Street. It is a landmark in the historic downtown area of Whitehorse.

Source: Minutes from the City of Whitehorse Heritage Advisory Committee, Oct 25, 2001
City of Whitehorse Bylaw 2001-62

Character-Defining Elements

- location and setting
- exposed log construction, exterior metal chimneys, gambrel wood shingled roof with dormers and bell cast eaves
- the wood windows and doors, and leaded glass
- the brick fireplace in the full basement
- the original gates and the wooden picket fence that encloses the spacious landscaped yard with its mix of indigenous and introduced mature trees and shrubs

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Yukon

Recognition Authority

Government of Yukon

Recognition Statute

Historic Resources Act

Recognition Type

Territorial Historic Site

Recognition Date

2002/11/03

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1937/01/01 to 1969/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type

Current

Commerce / Commercial Services
Office or Office Building

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Resources, Department of Tourism & Culture, Government of Yukon, file #3792-01

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

105D/11/022

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places