Bethel Historical Site
Bethel Lutheran Church
Links and documents
1916/01/01 to 1916/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Bethel Historical Site is a Municipal Heritage Property located within the Rural Municipality of Morris No. 312, approximately 15 kilometres southwest of the Village of Young. The property features a one-storey, wood-frame church constructed in 1916 and a cemetery.
The heritage value of Bethel Historical Site lies in the property’s association with the pioneers that founded the Lutheran congregation and constructed the church. The area was largely settled by Norwegian pioneers, who established a the congregation shortly after their arrival in 1909. The present church was constructed in 1916 and hosted regular services until 1971. The church is still used by the community for weddings, funerals and an annual church service. The grounds feature a cemetery that contains the remains of many who lived in the area, thereby providing a link to the past for current residents of the community.
The property’s association with the pioneers is enhanced by the property's retains a high degree of architectural and material integrity from its construction in the early-twentieth century. The architecture of the church reflects the influence of the Gothic Revival style, which was commonly used for ecclesiastical buildings during the period. Many of the materials used for construction of the church further enhance its historical integrity. The interior retains many of its historic wood features, including the doors, wainscoting, window frames and flooring. Also of note are the carved pulpit and central altar featuring a depiction of Christ. The exterior also retains a high degree of historical integrity through its continued use of wood siding and shingles.
Rural Municipality of Morris No. 312 Bylaw 3/94.
The heritage value of The Bethel Historical Site resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s association with pioneers, including the property’s location on its original site, the grave markers, and commemorative plaque located at the property’s entrance;
-those elements that reflect the property’s architectural historical integrity through its use of Gothic Revival-inspired design, including the church’s tall vertical proportions, pointed-arch windows, central bell tower, eight-sided, bell-shaped spire;
-the exterior use of wood siding and shingles;
-those elements that reflect the historical integrity of the interior, including its wood flooring, windows, wainscoting, panelling in the entrance, interior and exterior doors and frames; as well as the carved pulpit and altarpiece with the painted depiction Christ.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1916/01/01 to 1971/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 602
Cross-Reference to Collection