94 - 15th Street East
94-15th Street East, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, S6V, Canada
94 - 15th Street East
Links and documents
1929/01/01 to 1929/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
94 - 15th Street East is a Municipal Heritage Property centrally located on three lots on the south edge of downtown in Prince Albert. Constructed in 1929, the property features a two-storey, steel-frame, brick-clad building.
The heritage value of 94 - 15th Street East resides in its association with the wave of immigrants who entered Saskatchewan in the late 19th and early 20th Century. Constructed by the federal government in 1929, this immigration hall provided temporary accommodation for immigrants settling in the area and housed a branch of the Department of Immigration. This immigration hall was one of the last buildings of its type built by the Government of Canada and is one of the last immigration halls still standing in western Canada. 94 - 15th Street East has also been used for various federal government offices and a shelter for homeless men.
The heritage value of 94 - 15th Street East also resides in its prominent architecture. Designed by the Department of Public Works, under the supervision of the Dominion Architect Thomas Fuller, the building reflects the architectural traditions of the time as evident by the simplified classical design, with yellow brick and accented with Tyndall Stone, muted brick detailing, small cornice, and brick pilasters framing the doorway. Other historic architectural elements include the symmetry of the front façade with centered flagpole, the decorative brick arch-work around the windows on the front façade, and the prominent front entrance pavilion.
City of Prince Albert Bylaw No. 15 of 2001.
The heritage value of 94 - 15th Street East is expressed in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that speak to the building’s association with the rush of settlers to the prairie provinces, such as its location on its original site near the railyard and downtown Prince Albert;
-those elements that reflect the prominent and historic architecture of the building, including the simplified classical design with yellow brick façade accented with Tyndall Stone trim, the symmetry of the front façade with centered flagpole, muted brick detailing, the decorative brick arch-work around the front façade windows, cornice, brick pilasters, and the prominent front entrance pavilion.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Office or office building
- Multiple Dwelling
Architect / Designer
A. W. Haynes
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 2063
Cross-Reference to Collection