Home / Accueil

Fairbanks-Morse Building

12 23rd Street East, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1985/12/09

Front façade of the Fairbanks-Morse Building, 2005.; City of Saskatoon, Kathlyn Szalasznyj, 2005.
Front façade
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Fairbanks-Morse Building
Fairbanks-Morse Warehouse
Co-operative Common Wealth Federation (CCF) headquarters and union hall from 1948 - 1985

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1911/01/01 to 1912/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/03/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Fairbanks-Morse Building is a Municipal Heritage Property comprising two full and three partial lots in the commercial area of downtown Saskatoon. The property features a four-storey brick and concrete warehouse constructed in 1911. The designation pertains to the exterior of the building.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Fairbanks-Morse Building resides in its Classical Revival architecture. Built of reinforced concrete in an era predominated by wood-frame warehouses, the building exudes the optimism of Saskatoon’s pre-World War I commercial growth. A sense of permanence and stability is depicted in the use of the Classical Revival style by its designers, the prominent Montreal architectural firm of Brown and Vallance. Its façade features brick piers at storefront level, pilasters crowned with modern capitals, geometric spandrels and a stepped pediment. Its storefront, complete with leaded transom lighting, is accented by a belt course. Indiana limestone and Standstead granite, employed in other Saskatoon buildings designed by these architects, are used in the warehouse’s embellishment.

Heritage value also lies in the Fairbanks-Morse Building’s close association with the development of Saskatoon. In 1911, the Fairbanks-Morse Company Ltd, Canada’s largest machinery and mill supply house, constructed the building to warehouse its distribution centre for central Saskatchewan which contributed to Saskatoon’s rapid growth. A spur line connecting the warehouse to the nearby rail yard facilitated the delivery of heavy equipment. Like other large commercial buildings in Saskatoon’s warehouse district, the warehouse was subdivided and occupied by various smaller businesses during the 1930s and 1940s. In 1948, the Fairbanks-Morse Building became home to the local Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (C.C.F.) headquarters and also housed a Union hall.


City of Saskatoon Bylaw No. 6672.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the Fairbanks-Morse Building resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that articulate the Classical Revival architecture of the building, such as its piers, pilasters, stepped pediment and the metal spandrels incorporating decorative motifs;
-those elements that reflect its commercial history, such as the building’s location near the rail yards, the storefront windows at ground level and the Warehouse lettering above its storefront.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Commerce / Commercial Services

Architect / Designer

Brown and Vallance


O'Leary, J.P.

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Saskatoon Community Services Department Development Services Branch 222 - 3rd Avenue North SASKATOON SK S7K 0J5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 961



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places