401 St. George Street
United Church Manse
Links and documents
1863/01/01 to 1863/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
401 St. George Street, also known as the United Church Manse, is a two-storey wood-frame structure. It is sited next to the United Church of St. George and St. Andrews in Annapolis Royal, NS and was constructed circa 1863. It was used as the residence of the Methodist minister and his family from its construction and after 1925 it was occupied by the United Church of Canada minister and his family. The designation includes the building and surrounding property.
The historic value of 401 St. George Street, as recognized in its municipal designation, is found in its early construction and its association with nearly a century and a half of Annapolis Royal Methodist/United Church ministers and families. The house was constructed probably in 1863 to replace the older (mid- eighteenth century) building which had housed the Wesleyan Methodist ministers and their families since 1835. This earlier building was moved off the site (the present location of the United Church) and the new manse was constructed. In 1911 the manse was moved to its present location, so that the new Methodist Church of St. George could be built. In 1919 the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations in Annapolis Royal joined, predating the official creation of the United Church of Canada in 1925. As the church manse, this building has been a focal point for church activities and community events for many years.
The architectural significance of 401 St. George Street is found in its early date of construction and simplified Greek Revival style. It is part of a significant collection of mid-nineteenth century houses in the town. Although a contemporary style was followed in the construction of the manse, it would not have been acceptable for the Methodists, who rejected ostentation and excessive ornamentation, to have a highly ornate structure in which their minister would live; there are thus Greek Revival features, but the overall impression is one of simplicity and straight-forwardness. The fairly plain front façade of the house, with its central front door and symmetrically-placed windows, is relieved by the hood mouldings over both windows and door, which is repeated over the windows on the two ends of the building. The main door is recessed and surrounded by wooden sidelights and surmounted by a wooden transom light. The sidelights are flanked by full height wooden panels set in wide wood trim. All appear to be original.
A 1-1/2 storey rear ell is located on the west back side. Although this appears to have been constructed at the same time as the main house, it has been more highly altered with a shed dormer added to the east and the windows have all been modernized.
Source: Heritage Property Files, Map #260, 401 St. George Street, Annapolis Heritage Society, Town of Annapolis Royal.
The character-defining elements of 401 St. George Street inlcude:
- positioning next to the United Church;
- symmetrical front façade, with central doorway and flanking windows;
- hood mouldings over the windows and front doorway;
- original wooden door, sidelights and trim.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Philosophy and Spirituality
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Property Files, Annapolis Heritage Society, Annapolis Royal, NS.
Cross-Reference to Collection