Home / Accueil

CAMROSE PUBLIC LIBRARY

4859 and 4863 - 50 Street, Camrose, Alberta, T4V, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1978/01/24

Camrose Public Library Provincial Historic Resource (August 2005); Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Heritage Resource Management, 2005
West elevation
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Camrose Public Library - Courthouse
CAMROSE PUBLIC LIBRARY
Camrose Old Courthouse (Pub Library), The
Camrose Old Courthouse
Treasury Branch
Canadian Club's Clubhouse, The
Canadian Club

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1908/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/03/29

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Camrose Public Library is an early twentieth century, two-storey wood frame structure situated on approximately two lots on the city's mainstreet. The building is architecturally eclectic, embodying design elements from several styles. The classical revival style of architecture is especially evident in its symmetrical facade and slender columns accentuating the front entryway. Other prominent architectural elements include a flat roof with parapet and a second-storey balcony featuring a pedimented doorway.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Camrose Public Library lies in its architectural style and its association with the development of early Camrose society.

The Camrose Public Library exhibits an eclectic architectural design. The classical revival style is particularly prominent in the two columns that flank and accentuate the main entryway and the building's symmetrical facade and window pattern. Other architectural elements contribute to the library's character, including the flat roof with parapet, and the pedimented second storey doorway exiting onto a balcony.

The Camrose Public Library has been a significant structure in the social history of the city. Built in 1908 to house the Canadian Club of Camrose, this building offered the city's prominent businessmen a place to read, play billiards, and socialize. It was sold in 1918 and was later occupied by a Provincial Courthouse and Treasury Branch. In 1957, it was moved one block to its present location and transformed into the Camrose Public Library.

Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 163)

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements of the Camrose Public Library include such features as:
- mass, form, and style;
- flat roof, eaves with bracket supports, and crenellated parapet;
- clapboard siding on first and second storeys and vertical siding above fascia and on parapet;
- central projection featuring slender columns accentuating the front entryway and second-floor pedimented doorway leading to balcony;
- fenestration pattern;
- double door entryway.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Alberta

Recognition Authority

Province of Alberta

Recognition Statute

Historical Resources Act

Recognition Type

Provincial Historic Resource

Recognition Date

1978/01/24

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Community Organizations
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Community
Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 163)

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4665-0457

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places