Links and documents
1892/01/01 to 1893/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This building is a two-and-a-half storey single dwelling row house located at 008 Barnes Road, St. John’s. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
008 Barnes Road has been designated for its aesthetic and historic value.
008 Barnes Road is a Second Empire style row house with a mansard roof, bow windows and dormers and bracketing. It survives as a good example of a St. John's row house constructed in the period following the Great Fire of 1892. The building features elements typical of the design popular after the Great Fire, with wooden clapboard, wooden front door, mouldings, and bay windows at the first and second levels.
Historically, the building is associated with the Thomas family, who were building contractors. Between 1915 and 1928, the building was occupied by Henry J Thomas, contractor with Barnes Brothers. By the 1960s, the house was occupied by Eugene H Thomas, who was president of Henry J Thomas and Sons, Limited.
Source: Municipal designation file, City of St. John's Archives.
All elements of the building that are reflective of its age, construction, and design in the Second Empire style, including:
-mansard roof, bow windows, dormer windows and bracketing;
-use of narrow wooden clapboard;
-size, shape, decoration and placement of windows;
-original entrances with ornate decoration;
-transom above entrances;
-double dormers with pediment; and
-two storey bow window with decoration.
Newfoundland and Labrador
City of St. John's
City of St. John's Act
City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
1 Springdale Street, St. John’s Newfoundland,
Cross-Reference to Collection