Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church
3483 Highway 332, Rose Bay, Nova Scotia, B0J, Canada
Links and documents
1890/01/01 to 1890/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church is a large Greek Revival building in Rose Bay, Nova Scotia. The temple-style front of the building faces the street and the full size basement is below street level, but visible from either side as the small knoll it is situated on slopes away from the foundation. The Municipal Heritage Designation applies to the building and building footprint.
Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church is valued for its well defined Greek Revival architectural characteristics, which are not common in rural Lunenburg County. Its sheer size also sets it apart from most churches within the predominantly rural county. The main chapel has a capacity for 450 people and Sunday school is held in the basement of the church.
The church is also valued for its method of construction. Its large frame, built by local building company Boehner & Sons, rests on a solid granite foundation made from stone brought by oxen teams from nearby Kingsburg by the church’s parishioners. This communal effort reflects the commitment of parishioners to literally build their faith and indicates the need to subsidize the expensive process of construction by donating labour.
Source: Municipality of the District of Lunenburg, Heritage Property Book 2 Site 7.
Character-defining elements of Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church that relate to its Greek Revival architecture include:
- Temple-style construction with main entrance on gabled end;
- cornerboards designed as Greek pilasters wtih simple decorative capitals;
- return eaves;
- simplified moldings;
- symmetrical floor plan with belfry tower located in centre of gabled end over main entrance;
- double hung paneled door which maintains the building's symmetry;
- narrow lancet windows flanking the main entrance.
Additional character-defining elements of Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church include:
- five bay façade of lancet arch windows on the opposing sides, with the central window flanked by pairs of windows featuring double lancet arches;
- equilateral arch window with tracery over main entrance;
- open cage belfry;
- full basement;
- granite foundation;
- fixed oxeye window on front façade;
- cornerstone indicating date of construction;
- wooden clapboard construction.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Boehner & Sons
Location of Supporting Documentation
Municipal Heritage Properties Book 2 Site 7, Planning Library, Municipality of the District of Lunenburg, 210 Aberdeen Rd, Bridgewater, NS, B4V 4G8.
Cross-Reference to Collection