Elisha DeWolf House
Links and documents
1775/01/01 to 1775/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The DeWolfe House is located at the intersection of Main Street and Cherry Lane in Wolfville, NS. DeWolfe House is a late eighteenth-century, two-and-one-half storey wooden New England Colonial home and an architecturally unique landmark of the Wolfville community, as it is virtually unaltered from its original, Georgian form. The building and property are included in the designation.
The DeWolfe House is valued for its age, historical association with its occupants, and for its New England Colonial and Georgian style architecture.
Built around 1775 by Joseph Jackson and James Rimington as a small two-storey New England Colonial residence, it is the oldest home in Wolfville. Between 1776 and 1780 two additions were made by Edward DeWolfe, who in 1780 sold the house to his brother Elisha. Elisha and Edward were the sons of one of Wolfville's earliest settlers, Nathan DeWolfe.
A successful business person, Elisha DeWolfe was well-known for his hospitality and went on to become one of Wolfville's leading citizens. His home was a bustling centre of social activity in the community. High profile guests included Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, who DeWolfe entertained when the Prince was travelling from Halifax to Annapolis Royal in June of 1794.
DeWolfe held many prominent positions throughout his career including: Assistant Judge of the Court of Common Pleas; High Sheriff of Kings County; Member of the Provincial Assembly 1793-1799 and 1818-1820; Postmaster; Collector of Customs; and Justice of the Peace.
Over the years, the DeWolfe House has evolved in its uses and at various times it has been a school, a college residence, a shop, a post office, and a tourist bureau. The house has been carefully restored to its original eighteenth-century structure and currently serves once again as a home.
Source: Provincial Heritage Program property files, no. 58, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, NS.
Character-defining elements of The DeWolfe House relating to its New England Colonial and Georgian style include:
- its location in central Wolfville directly on an early main route through the Annapolis Valley;
- two-and-a-half storey timber frame construction;
- six-over-six wooden windows;
- wooden shingles;
- all original interior features including wooden floors;
- symmetrical five bay façade;
- matching brick chimneys;
- wooden front entry with side lights;
- returning eaves;
- moderately pitched gable roof.
Province of Nova Scotia
Heritage Property Act
Provincially Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Group Residence
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Property Program files, no. 58, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, NS
Cross-Reference to Collection