Hugh Gallagher House
Harvey Phinney House
Maison Harvey Phinney
Salem Baptist Parsonage
Presbytère baptiste de Salem
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Hugh Gallagher House is a large two-storey house in the Greek Revival style. It is located on Queens Road, formerly the Old Post Road, in Sackville.
Hugh Gallagher House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its similarities with two other houses in the neighbourhood and for its association with its former occupants.
Hugh Gallagher House is recognized for its architecture. Built circa 1831, this two-storey house with rear addition is a symbol of early Greek Revival style of architecture found in Sackville houses.
Hugh Gallagher House is one of three houses with similar architectural detail: the Christopher Boultenhouse House built circa 1840, the Smith House built circa 1830 and the Hugh Gallagher House built circa 1831. The dimensions of each house are similar, with a massive main house and rear kitchen addition. Each was of wood construction with wide bans of trim that form triangular pediments on the gable ends. The three houses were built on the former Old Post Road, near the wharf or the marshes, allowing access for the owners to their ships or farmlands.
Hugh Gallagher House is also recognized for its association with its former occupants. Hugh Gallagher, bridge builder, farmer, hotel owner, and general entrepreneur was the first owner. The Phinney family owned the house for many years with the original family member being Harvey Phinney, early tinsmith and town councillor. The house also played a role in the religious life of Sackville as a parsonage for the Salem Baptist Church. With the exception of the use of the house as a parsonage the home remained as the Phinney family home for over 100 years. The Salem Baptist Church, directly across the street, used the house as a parsonage for a ten-year period in the late 1800s.
Source: Town of Sackville, Historic Places File Cabinet, Hugh Gallagher House File
The character-defining elements that describe Hugh Gallagher House include:
- 2-storey wood construction;
- gable roof;
- wide band of trim forming triangular pediment on gable end;
- large, double-hung symmetrically placed windows, with smaller windows in unusual dormer on rear addition;
- well proportioned and symmetrical composition of structure;
- location on Queens Road overlooking wharves and Tantramar River;
- placement on lot with side façade facing the street, while main façade fronts on the driveway and original barns.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Multiple Dwelling
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Sackvlle, Historic Places File Cabinet, Hugh Gallagher File
Cross-Reference to Collection