Sackville Rural Cemetery Company
Companie du cimetière rural de Sackville
Sackville Cemetery Company Inc.
Companie du cimetière de Sackville, Inc
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Sackville Cemetery is a beautiful landscaped public area of more than fifteen acres. It is located on Upper York Street near the intersection of Kirk Street in Sackville.
The Sackville Cemetery is designated a Local Historic Place for being the central burial ground in Sackville, for being the resting place of many prominent people from that area and for being a good example of a cemetery from the Rural Cemetery Movement.
The Sackville Cemetery is recognized for its role as the central burial ground of Sackville from 1864 to present. This landscaped public park was formed by Sackville Rural Cemetery Company in 1864, developing and maintaining the site for more than 140 years. The grounds were planned as public parks by R.C. Boxall, an engineer associated with the development of the railroad in the Maritimes. This was in keeping with the Rural Cemetery Movement in the 1830s and 40s, based on the model of Mount Auburn Cemetery, near Boston. This movement saw cemetery design change from utilitarian to more pastoral landscapes. The idea of winding roads and irregular terrain dictated the orientation of the monuments to a large degree. Additional land was purchased in 1894 and 1912 while the abandoned railroad, which borders the cemetery and accessed the nearby Sackville Freestone Company, was purchased from Canadian National in 1971. In 1936, major landscaping occurred including the installation of two stone pillars, still in position today, on the entrance road. A large ravine that passed through the property was landscaped at that time and, although awkward to traverse, has now become a thing of beauty with colourful flowerbeds. In 1938, the act of incorporation was amended and the name of the Sackville Rural Cemetery Company changed to The Sackville Cemetery Company.
The Sackville Cemetery is also the final resting place for a number of dignitaries who played key roles in the development of the community of Sackville, the province of New Brunswick and the nation in general. Some of the prominent figures who have commemorative markers at this site include: Dr. George F.G. Stanley, prominent historian and designer of the Canadian flag, some of the early professors and presidents of Mount Allison University, some Sackville Mayors, some New Brunswick Lieutenant Governors, a number of Canadian Senators as well as the engineer, Henry Ketcham who designed the Ship Railway across the Chignecto Peninsula.
Source: Town of Sackville, Historic Places File Cabinet, Sackville Cemetery Co. Inc. File
The character-defining elements that describe The Sackville Cemetery include:
- landscaped grounds including carriage roads, sweeping ravines with flower beds, and large older trees;
- four areas for burial including the original site, Pioneer’s Rest, as well as newer sites: Maple Slope, Pleasant Ridge and East View;
- cemetery vault and chapel built in 1956;
- two stone pillars framing the entrance drive, installed in 1936;
- memorial to Dr. George F.G. Stanley, designer of the Canadian Flag;
- tombstone to Mr. H.G.C. Ketcham, distinguished engineer for the Ship Railway, re-interred here in 1914;
- memorials to early Mount Allison University educators, Sackville senators and New Brunswick Lieutenant Governors.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Social Movements
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
R. C. Boxall
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Sackville, Historic Places File Cabinet, Sackville Cemetery Co. Inc. File
Cross-Reference to Collection