Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. George’s Anglican Church, located on Main Street, Parrsboro, NS, is believed to be the oldest standing church in the town. Built in the 1860s, the Gothic style church with arched, stained glass windows, and spire contributes to the historic streetscape of downtown Parrsboro. The municipal designation includes the church and the land it occupies.
The value of St. George’s Anglican Church is epitomized by its distinctive and mainly intact Gothic architecture, making the church a local landmark and a significant historic place in Parrsboro. Intact original Gothic elements include the lancet windows on all façades and the steep gable roof. An unusual spire incorporates lancet windows on all four sides of the tapered upper section. It is a massive building: according to a 1914 insurance plan, the building is 6m to its eaves, 12m to its ridge and the 36.5m spire is capped with a cross. The church boasts a richly finished interior, with many original ornamental details.
The spiritual value of St. George’s Anglican Church is evident in its continuous use as a place of worship since 1865. Parish of St. George’s was established by an Order-in-Council in 1796; the present building is actually the third St. George’s Church in Parrsboro. The building contract was awarded to Thomas R. Corbett on June 30th, 1865. It soon opened for services, with Rev. William B. King (locally known as Parson King), as the church's first rector.
Following its opening, the lane leading to the still standing previous St. George's, which was still owned by the Parish, was sold and the proceeds applied to procuring a bell for the new church. Improvements to the interior are evident in a contract for lighting that was ratified in 1898; and the purchase of a water motor for the pipe organ in 1905. It was converted to electricity in the 1930s.
Source: Town Office, Town of Parrsboro, Heritage Property Site Inventory Forms, Book #2, ID # 25216623.
Character-defining elements of St. George’s Anglican Church include:
- wood construction with steeply pitched gable roof and front gable plan;
- large scale massing;
- ornamental flying buttressed corners and off-centre doorway beneath the tower;
- richly finished interior including wooden beams, oak altar, lanterns and tall, arched, Gothic style stained glass windows;
- position and viewscape.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Thomas R. Corbett
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Parrsboro,
PO Box 400,
Parrsboro, NS B0M 1S0
Cross-Reference to Collection