Home / Accueil

Wheatwyn Church

Cupar RM 218, Saskatchewan, S0G, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2005/07/11

Interior of the Wheatwyn Church viewing the sanctuary from the nave, 2006; Ross Herrington, 2006.
Side elevation of the Wheatwyn Church showing the fieldstone construction and form, 2006.; Ross Herrington, 2006
Side facade
No Image

Other Name(s)

Wheatwyn Church
Wheatwyn Lutheran Church
Zion Lutheran Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1906/01/01 to 1907/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/03/15

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Wheatwyn Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located approximately ten kilometres south and two kilometres west of Markinch in the Rural Municipality of Cupar No. 218. The property features a one-storey, fieldstone building which was constructed between 1906 and 1907.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of Wheatwyn Church resides in its status as one of the oldest remaining churches in the Rural Municipality of Cupar. In 1900, John and Elizabeth Lingner and their family came from Elmira, Ontario to homestead in the Wheatwyn (formerly Loon Creek) district of Saskatchewan. They were part of a group of German Lutherans who settled in this area, and one of the original members of the congregation of the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, which later became known as Wheatwyn Church. Lingner donated land on the northwest corner of his homestead for a church, which was adjacent to where his two young sons were buried. This cemetery would become the Wheatwyn Church Cemetery. The cornerstone of the fieldstone church was laid in August 1906 and the church dedicated on November 3, 1907. Regular church services were held here until 1961, when the congregation amalgamated with St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Markinch.

Heritage value also resides in the building’s stone construction and Gothic Revival architecture. Constructed from local fieldstone, this rectangular building includes three symmetrically-placed pointed-arch windows on each side. The entrance on the east side is topped by a cupola and small cross.

Rural Municipality of Cupar No. 218 Bylaw No. 2/05.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of Wheatwyn Church lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements which speak to the church’s early-twentieth century stone construction and Gothic Revival influences, including the symmetrically-placed pointed-arch windows on each side, louvered cupola, crosses, and the stone exterior;
-those elements that reflect its status as one of the oldest churches in the community, including its position on its original location.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 82

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 82



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places