New Caledonian Curling Club
66 Water Street (Old); 66 Caladh Street (New), Pictou, Nova Scotia, B0K, Canada
Links and documents
1910/01/01 to 1910/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The New Caledonian Curling Club is located on the main street running through the Town of Pictou, Nova Scotia. However, the building is more accessible through a west side entrance located on Caladh Street. It is a one storey Classical Revival building, with wood frame construction and a steeply pitched roof. The building is situated on a small parcel of land with the front façade facing Pictou Harbour. Included in the municipal designation is the building and surrounding land.
The historic value of The New Caledonian Curling Club, as recognized in its municipal designation, is because of its age and recognition as the second oldest curling club in Nova Scotia and third oldest in all of Canada.
The New Caledonian Curling Club dates back to 1850. The formation date of the Club makes it the second oldest Curling Club in Nova Scotia. The current location of the club was built in 1910 and has been the club’s home ever since.
The Club is a one storey Classical Revival building, with a wood frame construction and a steeply pitched roof.
Source: Town of Pictou, Heritage Property Designation Application, Pictou Town Hall, 40 Water Street, Pictou, Nova Scotia, B0K 1H0.
The Character-Defining Elements of the New Caledonian Curling Club relate to its age and structure, including:
-Wood frame construction;
-Steeply pitched roof.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
Function - Category and Type
- Sports Facility or Site
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Pictou Regional Development Commission, 980 East River Road, New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, B2H 3S8
Cross-Reference to Collection