Description of Historic Place
Built in circa 1881 and located at the edge of Main Street, the Old Methodist Church is a Gothic Revival building. Although it was the only Methodist Church in Chester, it only remained a place of worship until 1918. Since that time the building has become a private residence and undergone extensive interior renovations; however, its exterior architecture remains intact. The Municipal Heritage Designation applies to the building and surrounding property.
The Old Methodist Church is valued for its age, architecture and historical associations. Built in circa 1881 by the six members of its original congregation this three storey wooden construction Gothic Revival building has remained relatively unchanged on its exterior.
The main entrance is located on the gabled end facing Main Street and is topped by a large three-paned equilateral triangular window, which consists of two equilateral triangular panes one in each bottom corner flanking a diamond shaped pane of glass in the middle, which is actually formed by joining two additional equilateral triangles.
This unique pattern for forming a large equilateral triangle also tops all of the other lancet arch windows in the building; two lancet arch windows flank the front entrance, while another is centered over the main entrance at the second storey. In addition, each side elevation features a three bay façade of lancet arch windows with six panes in the upper sash and a single pane in the lower sash, which contrasts to the 8 over 8 panes found on the front elevation.
The rear elevation features three paired sets of windows; one at each storey flanking a central rear chimney. These windows are rectangular in style and do not have window hoods like the other windows.
In addition to its Gothic Revival style, the Old Methodist Church also has several features more common to the Greek Revival architecture, including heavily decorated simple return eaves and small capitals at the top of its corner boards giving the impression of a Greek styled pilaster.
After the congregation disbanded in 1918 the building was taken over by a board of trustees on behalf of the local Scout Troop in 1930 and it remained the local Scout Hall for forty-one years, making it a landmark in the town for another generation. In 1971 the building was purchased as a private residence and it continues to function as such, but its formal Gothic Revival architecture still makes it an obvious landmark and belies its historic function.
Source: Municipality of the District of Chester Heritage Property Files.
The character-defining elements of the Old Methodist Church that relate to its Gothic Revival architecture include:
- a large three paned equilateral triangle window with triangular window hood;
- 8 over 8 lancet arch windows with small three paned equilateral triangle tops with triangular window hoods on the front elevation;
- three bay facades of 6 over 1 pane lancet arch windows with small three paned equilateral triangle tops with triangular window hoods on the side elevations;
- main entrance on the gabled end facing Main Street;
- steeply pitched roof;
- wooden shingle construction.
The character-defining elements of the Old Methodist Church that relate to its Greek Revival architectural elements include:
- heavily decorated simple return eaves;
- corner boards styled as Greek pilasters with small capitals.