Balmoral Fire Hall National Historic Site of Canada
Balmoral Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4V, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Located in downtown Toronto, Ontario, the Balmoral Fire Hall is a small red brick Queen Anne Revival building. The designation refers to the building on its lot.
The Balmoral Avenue Fire Hall was designated a national historic site of Canada because it is a particularly good example of the Queen Anne Revival Style, as expressed in institutional architecture.
The Balmoral Fire Hall is the quintessential Queen Anne Revival institutional building: a clever use of eclectic historical revival details to articulate a building with a modern function. Built in 1911, the building designed by the architect Robert McCallum is an imaginative evocation of early Renaissance Flemish urban design, featuring polychromatic materials, a sculptural treatment of surfaces, which enliven a small building with charm and economy.
Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, November 1990.
Aspects of this site which contribute to its heritage character include:
- those elements which speak to the Queen Anne Revival style as it was executed for institutional purposes, namely:
- the basically rectangular massing enlivened by varying rooflines, stepped gables, and a tower;
- a polychromatic colour scheme achieved through the combination of red brick with pale stone trim;
- the grouping of windows of various shapes including round-headed windows with prominent voussoirs; and
- the exterior expression of the contemporary function as evident in the large vehicle doors, hose tower, and open interior space for vehicles and equipment.
Government of Canada
Historic Sites and Monuments Act
National Historic Site of Canada
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Fire Station
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection