Home / Accueil

Dominion Exhibition Display Building II National Historic Site of Canada

Provincial Exhibition Grounds, Brandon, Manitoba, R7A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1998/12/15

Corner view of the Dominion Exhibition Display Building II, 1998.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, Fern Graham, 1998.
General view
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Dominion Exhibition Display Building II National Historic Site of Canada
Dominion Exhibition Display Building II
Bâtiment d'exposition n° 2 de l'Exposition du Dominion

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1913/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/06/18

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Dominion Exhibition Display Building II is a stately wooden exhibition building located in the midst of the City of Brandon’s exhibition grounds. The structure’s scale, materials and classical elements proclaim its early 20th-century origins.

Heritage Value

Dominion Exhibition Display Building II was designated a national historic site of Canada because:
- it is the only known surviving building constructed for the Dominion Exhibition held annually from 1879-1914;
- it is located in a city which was, and continues to be, a focal point and important centre in the agricultural development of the west;
- it is a good example of the exhibition halls inspired by the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893; and
- it has clear roots in the tradition and style of exhibition halls, and expresses very well the exuberance and monumentality of its Beaux-Arts models.

Designed by architects Shillinglaw and Marshall, this grand Beaux-Arts-style building was constructed in 1913 for agricultural display at the annual Dominion Exhibition, an initiative of the Department of Agriculture.

Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, December 1998.

Character-Defining Elements

Key elements of this site include its:
- rectangular, single-storey massing,
- original open interior plan with tall central nave,
- designed provision of natural light through clerestory and large windows in side elevations,
- exposed interior wooden trusses,
- exterior wood sheathing,
- classical articulation including columned porticoes, pediments, stepped parapets, domed corner pavilions, pilasters,
- location on exhibition grounds.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Federal

Recognition Authority

Government of Canada

Recognition Statute

Historic Sites and Monuments Act

Recognition Type

National Historic Site of Canada

Recognition Date

1998/12/15

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1913/01/01 to 1914/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Extraction and Production
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Sports and Leisure

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Leisure
Exhibition Centre

Architect / Designer

Shillinglaw & Marshall

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1865

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places