Home / Accueil

Roumanian Church

Highway 55, Beaver River RM 622, Saskatchewan, S0M, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1983/04/14

View of the south west elevation of the Roumanian Church, 2006.; Government of Saskatchewan, Brett Quiring, 2006.
Southwest elevation.
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Roumanian Church
Romanian Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1934/01/01 to 1934/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/05/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Roumanian Orthodox Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located within the Rural Municipality of Beaver River No. 622 along Highway #55 approximately five kilometres west of the Town of Pierceland. The property features a one-storey log church clad in wood siding, which was constructed in 1934. The property also features a cemetery surrounded by a non-contributing hedgerow.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Roumanian Orthodox Church lies in its association with the Romanian pioneers that settled in the area. During the 1930s, in the face of harsh drought conditions, many farmers from across southern Saskatchewan left their farms and took up new land in northern Saskatchewan which was less prone to drought. These immigrants included the Romanian families who constructed the Roumanian Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity in 1934. The church features a utilitarian design, as seen in its rectangular form, and subdued ornamentation which is evident in the bell tower and pointed windows of the nave. The interior is dominated by the inclusion of a wall which separates the altar from the nave, a common design element of Orthodox churches. While regular services have ended, the church and cemetery continue to stand as a monument to the early pioneers of the district.

Source:

Rural Municipality of Beaver River No. 622 Bylaw No. 27.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the Roumanian Orthodox Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect its association with the Romanian pioneers, including the property’s location on its original site, Budded Cross on the steeple, the tombstones and their arrangement into rows, and the division of the interior space with a wall separating the nave from the altar.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

1983/04/14

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

Eli Rawlake

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 26

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 26

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places