Merrickville Blockhouse National Historic Site of Canada
Links and documents
1832/01/01 to 1833/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Merrickville Blockhouse is a two-storey, masonry and timber defensive structure located on the banks of the Rideau Canal in the town of Merrickville Ontario.
Merrickville Blockhouse was designated a National Historic Site because it was considered a fine example of the best type of blockhouses erected for the defence of the Rideau Canal about 1832.
Its heritage value lies in its illustration of relatively large, 19th-century British designed blockhouse. Built in 1832-33, it is associated with the construction of the Rideau Canal waterway and the defence of Canada.
Source: HSMBC Minutes, May 1939, 1967; Commemorative Integrity Statement.
- the blocky massing,
- its large size relative to other defensible structures along the canal,
- the tripartite design with a squat lower storey, overhanging upper storey, and steep hipped roof,
- the symmetrical design with central door and regular window openings,
- the functional design as a defensive structure with sparse door and window openings and plentiful gun slits,
- the fire resistant design with thick, vented stone walls on the basement and first storey,
- remaining original fabric in the lower storey,
- evidence of designed self-sufficiency, particularly related to the sub-division of space into provision storage, armament storage and barrack areas,
- vestiges of former defensive ditch around the building,
- the spacial relationship to the Merrickville Lockstation, particularly in the land-use allocation and circulation patterns,
- siting at the Merrickville Lockstation, with an unobstructed view up and down the Rideau waterway and down the Prescott and Brockville Roads.
Government of Canada
Historic Sites and Monuments Act
National Historic Site of Canada
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Military and Defence
Function - Category and Type
- Canal or Canal Works
- Military Defence Installation
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection
Located just off the Rideau Canal side in the heart of Merrickville, the Merrickville Blockhouse is an imposing well-proportioned symmetrical two-storey pyramidal-roofed…