75 Pleasant St., St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Todd House consists of a two-and-half storey Greek Revival residence with a pillared central portico. It is located on maturely landscaped grounds on Pleasant Street in St. Stephen.
Todd House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and its association with former occupants.
Todd House is recognized for being a good example of Greek Revival residential architecture from the mid 1800’s in St. Stephen. This type of architecture was popular in the United States but not common in New Brunswick. It was built for William Todd in 1858, replacing the original home that burnt earlier that year. Well-tailored lawns and beautiful shade trees have surrounded the Todd House since its construction.
Todd House is also recognized for its association with former occupants. William Todd's activities were principally in the lumber business and he showed great interest in the development of the area. He was a member of the Legislative Council for the Province of N.B. for many years and was active in furthering the cause of Confederation. He was offered a seat in the Senate in Canada's first Parliament but declined because of advancing years. Following his death in 1874, his son, Charles F. Todd and his wife Anna Marie Porter, great granddaughter of early St. Stephen settler Captain Nehemiah Marks, occupied the home. Irving Randall Todd, son of Charles F. Todd resided in the home after his father's death. He became owner of the Eastern Pulpwood Co., which he sold in 1911. Sir Robert Borden offered him a seat in the Senate in 1918, which he held until his death in 1932. The last Todd to occupy the home was Charles Frederick Todd, son of Senator Irving Todd.
Source: St Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file "Todd House"
The character-defining elements that describe Todd House include:
- location on maturely landscaped grounds, including shade trees and well-maintained lawns;
- 2 1/2 storey rectangular massing;
- medium pitch gable roof;
- wide fascia and corner boards;
- regular fenestration of rectangular 6 over 6 windows;
- central portico with large pediment supported by pillars;
- heavy panelled doors with fanlight and sidelights;
- clapboard siding;
- molded returned eaves.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1874/01/01 to 1874/01/01
1911/01/01 to 1911/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file
Cross-Reference to Collection