King Seaman Church
Minudie United Church of Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The King Seaman Church is located on Barronsfield Road, the main road running through Minudie, Nova Scotia. This church was built about 1848 and is clad in wood, with a central front entrance and steeple. The building and property are included in the provincial designation.
The King Seaman Church, as well as the St. Denis Roman Catholic Church and the School Museum, located in Minudie, all give evidence of the largess of Amos Seaman, also known as "King" Seaman. Mr. Seaman was a wealthy and innovative entrepreneur who made his home in Minudie in the 1800s.
The King Seaman Church was built around 1848 as a Universalist Church and dedicated in 1863, just one year prior to the death of Amos "King" Seaman. The church was for use by all Protestant faiths in the area. Although the congregation was nominally Universalist in the first few years after its creation, it was always available to any visiting Protestant clergymen. By 1874, a Presbyterian minister preached in it every two weeks and services by different denominations were often held on Sunday mornings and afternoons. Then in the early 1890s, the Universalists returned; however, after 1900 only the Church of England and Methodists used the church. In 1925, the congregation joined the United Church of Canada. Services were held in the church up until 1985. There is no active congregation today.
There are two small sandstone plaques on the wall of the King Seaman Church commemorating Amos Seaman and his wife, Jane.
The style of the King Seaman Church is typical of rural churches built in the mid- to late of the nineteenth century, of wooden construction and fairly simple design. The decorative detail around the arched windows is the most distinguishing feature.
The King Seaman Church is located on the main road in Minudie along with two other heritage properties forming a streetscape. Located next to the King Seaman Church is the Minudie School Museum, and alongside that is St. Denis Church.
Source: Provincial Heritage Program Property file, no. 255, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, NS.
Character-defining elements of King Seaman Church include:
- location, contributing to the Minudie streetscape;
- one-storey wooden construction;
- entrance vestibule and steeple located at the front of the building;
- Gothic Revival style arched windows;
- wood cladding;
- concrete and stone pad foundation;
- detailed window trim, cornerboards, frieze boards, fascia and soffits;
- pitched roof.
Province of Nova Scotia
Heritage Property Act
Provincially Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Philosophy and Spirituality
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Provincial Heritage Program property file, no. 255, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Cross-Reference to Collection